Pellet Stove in a prefab fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmckenz5150

Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2007
Hey there to all...

I'm new here and wasn't sure where to start, so here goes...

I live in a condo and I am interested in installing a pellet stove insert into my existing wood burning fireplace. Is this possible? I researched a couple of years ago and didn't get anywhere. I found that the Harmon insert was too big for my firebox and couldn't find any other companies who make a smaller unit to fit. I have the firebox dimensions somewhere in the house that I'll post later on. Any suggestions of a course of action to take?

Quad has some small units they also allow for the fireplace to be cut as they have a zero clearance listing on most of the inserts

Castile: http://www.quadrafire.com/products/inserts/pelletInsertDetail.asp?f=castileins

I have read that manual about 20 times (and its still confusing). I know its got directions for putting it in a ZC wood unit, and for doing a cut down. You need some extra parts, like a protector pad under the unit. Quad has all the extra parts listed in there with part numbers.

Santa Fe: http://www.quadrafire.com/products/inserts/pelletInsertDetail.asp?f=SANTAFEINS

Steel look instead of cast, I just checked the manual and it has similar instructions to the castile.

I think Harman only has the Accentra as an insert and it is kinda tiny........ if it doesn't fit............ :eek:hh:

There is also an enviro fire that can be used in a zc application. All of the units I've mentioned will allow you to carve whatever you need to out of your wood zc to get it installed. The ZC kit for these units runs 50.00 to 150.00 depending on brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.