pellet stove inquiry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ky teacher

Feb 10, 2010
eastern ky
I am seriously thinking of installing a pellet stove this summer before the tax credit deadline, I AM TIRED OF FREEZING MY TUSH WITH ELECTRIC expensive heat, does anyone know if it is possible to vent a pellet stove through to a crawl space area under house and the nout to an outside wall? I have no outside wall in my living room, which is where (I would like the stove) that is suitable for venting ANY suggestions? It is possible to vent through ajoining kitchen area but not really to fantastic of a spot to put it in.

Any help is appreciated
thanks
sue

This is the woodstove forum...your question should be posted in the pellet stove forum.

Done been moved. Rick

ky teacher said:
I am seriously thinking of installing a pellet stove this summer before the tax credit deadline, I AM TIRED OF FREEZING MY TUSH WITH ELECTRIC expensive heat, does anyone know if it is possible to vent a pellet stove through to a crawl space area under house and the nout to an outside wall? I have no outside wall in my living room, which is where (I would like the stove) that is suitable for venting ANY suggestions? It is possible to vent through ajoining kitchen area but not really to fantastic of a spot to put it in.

Any help is appreciated
thanks
sue

I'm guessing that would involve coming out of the stove and going down. Can't be did.

Can you go up through the ceiling and roof?

I suppose if I ran a pipe through the ceiling then i would have to have flashing and all the good stuff done to my roof, was trying to avoid cutting into the roof if possible but I may have no choice am learning about these pellet stoves so I really dont knoe exactly how they are vented. I beleive some are vented straight through an outside wall similiar to a dryer vent ..Am I correct?

Yes they can be vented out a wall with the proper double wall pipe and wall fitting. But it doesn't sound like you have an outside wall to go out of. And like hossthehermit hermit says: you can't go down with a pellet vent pipe. It must go horizontal or vertical. Also each pellet burner has maximum horizontal run and clearance restrictions. When you decide on a model of stove go on-line and get the installation manual. The installation manual should tell you how to run the vent and the restrictions you should keep in mind when selecting a location for your pellet stove.

ky teacher said:
I suppose if I ran a pipe through the ceiling then i would have to have flashing and all the good stuff done to my roof, was trying to avoid cutting into the roof if possible but I may have no choice am learning about these pellet stoves so I really dont knoe exactly how they are vented. I beleive some are vented straight through an outside wall similiar to a dryer vent ..Am I correct?

Here are a couple examples. Scroll down to page 8 of the manual.

http://www.englandsstoveworks.com/manuals/25-PDVC.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.