Pellet Stove insert question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drikulus

Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Upstate NY
I have an opportunity to get a wood pellet stove insert at a real good price (real good). My house already has a zero clearance fireplace that I rarely have used...its a piece of junk and it doesn't heat well. Here's my problem...the dimensions of the existing zero clearance fire place are not big enough to accommodate the pellet insert (stove needs 23" wide 11" deep and 21.5" high - existing firebox is only 19" high, width and depth are ok). Can I remove the old zero clearance fire place and install the pellet insert in the area where the fire place was? Would I have to install some kind of shielding? Or build some kind of fire proof housing area? Are the inserts designed specifically to work within an existing fire box and would I be reducing the efficiency of the stove? Could I somehow make it work without burning my house down (lol)? I'm not at all attached to the zero clearance fire place, I can't foresee ever wanting to revert back to using it so if it can be taken out to make the insert work I don't mind. I just don't know much about stoves and how they work. My floor space is limited so a free standing stove is not a very appealing option, besides I have this particular deal on this insert that I have to act on reasonably soon. Anybody have any advice?

I have a similar situation, and was considering doing the same thing. decided to go w/ a free-standing, but from my reading, I think you could just yank the old fireplace out and put an insert in its place. These things don't radiate much heat around the sides and back. What you can do is go to the manufacturer's website, and download the installation manual, which will tell you what you need for clearances, etc.

Thanks Chuck,
I did download a copy of the owner/installation manual ( its a Hudson River Stove Works Saranac Insert) but they don't really address installing the thing outside of some sort of existing firebox whether it be masonry or a zero-clearance/manufactured fireplace. My line of thinking is along what you said about the things not putting out much heat on the back or sides but I don't know... is part of the stoves design relying on the stove operating in an existing firebox to properly radiate the heat? I'm really hoping I can make this work since it is such a great deal but like I said I certainly don't want to burn down my house and I don't want to half ass install the thing so its not working at maximun efficiency. Any one else have any thoughts on this. BTW... I will have a professional install the thing in the end but I'm trying to get an understanding of what I will need to do to make it work (if its even possible) and how much any modifications I might need will cost me. I guess I'm thinking that maybe I can make this work but the extra effort/modifications needed to make it work may just diminish any savings I'm getting on the original deal.

First, look and see if there is a sheet metal smoke shield which is making the pre-fab fireplace seem that low. These can sometimes be removed, giving you a greater height.

BUT, there are other things working against you. First, the insert must have a specific "lab listing" which states that it can be used in prefab (zero clearance) fireplaces....that would be to install it into the existing fireplace. It is also possible that the manual will specify that the existing chimney be lined with a smaller diameter stainless steel pipe.

As far as installing the unit AS a fireplace - meaning removing the entire pre-fab and framing the pellet insert in, this is possible with many units on the market - but, again, only when the owners manual specifically shows it.

Other than that, you are out of luck.

Well..I spoke with some people in "the business" and contacted the people at Hudson River Stoves... Turns out that the HRSW Saranac insert is NOT designed to be installed as a stand alone insert. I was given the impression that a creative carpenter could probably find a way to make it work but it really wouldn't be kosher. In the end I've decided to go with a Napoleon NPI 40 which can be installed without an existing fire box (or with one if you choose). The installation gives some pretty detailed instructions on how to build a combustable enclosure. It will be a little more work and a bit more expensive considering the original deal I had on the other stove but after all saftey is my primary concern. Thanks to those of you who replied to my original question. Has anyone else installed a napoleon NPI40 this way? Any feedback on the Napoleon stoves is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.