Pellet stove install check

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nvnv

Nov 6, 2016
NV
Hi all. Got a Castle Serenity stove about a month ago and finally got it installed this weekend. I fired it up this morning and everything looks good, stove seems to be running great. One thing that is bothering me is that I think I used the wrong caulking to seal the vent joints. I just looked and see I used fire barrier sealant instead of RTV. I don't see any leaks but I'm hoping this won't cause any issues down the road. I also taped the inside joints with high heat silicone tape. I used DuraVent for the vent pipes. Let me know what you think.

Edit: Also how hot should the vent pipe be getting? It's hot enough on the inside where I can just touch it very quickly before having to take my finger off. Even outside on the vertical section I can only touch it for a few seconds.

Here are some pics:
E0795A2A-C066-4C42-80D0-D7F44D63DCF9_zpszrduriau.jpg

B958DD06-025F-41C7-82F9-4224EB1AC7BD_zpsj3coymbj.jpg

9FBE8018-BB30-492B-BE78-A3D6CF8D2CD5_zps095jtgbp.jpg

Last edited:
Yes you did use the wrong sealant but no sense worrying about it now something you will have to deal with if you ever take the vent apart.Your install looks good though.Its normal for the vent to be warm like you say.
Congrats on the Serenity, great little stove that is super easy to clean.Oh yeah get yourself a surge protector.

Is that 3" or 4" vent pipe? Exceeding 15 EVL may be real close if it is 3".

Is that 3" or 4" vent pipe? Exceeding 15 EVL may be real close if it is 3".

It's 3". I did a lot of research on venting before I did the install and never came across EVL and I didn't see it in the manual. I also now see they suggest 4" if you are above 3000' which I am at 4000'.

"Pellet stoves have to push the exhaust air through the vent pipe with the stove's exhaust fan. With less restriction your pellet stove will breathe easier and burn more efficiently. First let's clarify the word restriction. Restrictions come from several different items.

1. 45 degree elbows
  2. 90 degree elbows
  3. Horizontal distance
  4. Vertical distance
  5. Elevation where you live.
A rule of thumb equation we are using has been adopted by most pellet manufactures. The equation is called the sum of Equivalent Vertical Length (EVL). All of the above mentioned venting restrictions have been assigned EVL values as follows:

1. Each 45 degree elbow = 3 EVL
  2. Each 90 degree elbow and Tees with cleanout = 5 EVL
  3. Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
  4. Each foot of Vertical run = 0.5 EVL
  5. Elevations above 3000 ft with an EVL of 7 must adapt to 4 inch vent pipe.
If your installation is below 3000ft, we would need to do some math. The rule of thumb equations is that if the sum of the EVL is 15 or greater, then the pellet vent pipe would be increased to 4 inch diameter pellet vent pipe."

This does not mean your stove will not burn properly but you could run into inspection issues and insurance issues.

Ok so yesterday I swapped out the 3" vent pipe for 4". The switch was easy as the hole for the wall thimble was still the same size. This also gave me a chance to use the correct RTV sealant so I feel better about that now too. Thanks for catching that mistake.

I've been running it for a few hours tonight and it seems to be burning great. I'm still somewhat worried by the temperature of the pipe though. I've read other posts on here that people can lay their hand on their vent pipe and leave it there. Mine I can touch for about a second before I have to remove my hand. Is this normal?

can be normal depending on the heat level your on. One thing with the Serenity is because of it's design it moves alot of air through the stove quickly which until you get the proper air balance your vent pipe may be hotter because your blowing a lot of your heat out the exhaust. Are your pellets dancing in the burn pot, if so you need to slow down the airflow.I suggest starting with the air damper between a 1/4-1/3 open and see how the flame looks. if the the flame is still nice and lively and your pellets are still dancing in the burn pot then you will want to back down on the exhaust blower setting.

Reactions: mralias
Status
Not open for further replies.