Pellet stove install, Inspector question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
I've got my P61A being installed tomorrow and I was wondering if I have to wait for the inspector to sign off on it before I start burning with it? It's being installed by their certified installer and they are pulling the permit.

Burn first and ask forgiveness latter:) Ask your certified installer!

If it's like any other permit I've ever pulled, you will probably need to wait for the inspector's sign off.

Burned mine for 3 months before it was inspected. Code guy twitched when I told him this, but after seeing the quality of the install he got over it. He took the time to look over my plans for the second stove in the basement. He did say that they get calls from insurance companies whenever there are fire claims.

Mine still hasn't been "signed off" on and it's roaring away. I was told it wasn't quite the 13 inches on one side that Harman requires so my dealer installed the heat shields this weekend (which pushes the requirement from combustibles down to 9 inches). I left the inspector a message over the weekend to alert him that the shields were installed but there is ZERO chance that I'm waiting for his approval to fire my stove up, given that I know I'm burning safely.

Mine was burning when the inspector showed. It was cold! He was understanding. On another note, my inspection was a joke and just a money grab. The guy showed up with nothing. Skimmed the manual in a few min. Casually looked around and left. The entire process took 15 min and I was 79 dollars poorer. Got the certificate in the mail a few weeks later.

Reactions: Lowarea
I know some of the inspections admittadly are more courtesy calls when dealing with reputable contractors. I dealt with two different counties and after a year of servicing the area owners would get the certificates stuck in the door or mail without a visit. My position on Fire Dept probably aided.

My install was a while back.
Self install.
IIRC My inspector showed up.....
asked if I followed the MFG's install manual......
Asked for the check.....
Then spent about 20 minutes asking about the stove and how it worked.
Was more interested in the machine than the install.
Signed it off and said he was gonna start looking for a pellet stove for his place

---Nailer----

I would think the town/city is already thrilled you pulled a permit for the job to keep it legit. I would make sure the stove is off and cooled down before the inspector comes to your house so they don't burn themselves on measuring for clearances. I don't think burning a few bags to verify proper function is an issue.It would be somewhat difficult to tell how much you've gone though if the stove was off.

In my town, no. Their stipulation was that it must be cold when inspected, though. They tore it apart a bit, examined the exhaust hook up, measured all clearances, etc.
You won't a CO without the sign off though, which means your insurance won't cover you if something happens.

You live in MA you probably can answer this question yourself :)

Around me the fire department will come and hang out with you if you call them that is about all we need if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.