Pellet Stove install quote...thoughts??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe B One925

Sep 19, 2014
Sturbridge, MA
Hi all,

So I recently purchased an Englander 25PDV, replacing an existing wood stove that I have. Since my install is occuring down in my finished basement, I'm dealing with a foundation wall setup where putting a new hole in my foundation is not an option (see wife).

In any case, today I had a reputable local installer stop by to give me a quote. He quoted 2 options.

1) Use my existing chimney, put a liner kit in, add support to my chimney (see link below) install new pipe, etc = $1,235.00
2) Remove my existing chimney, patch my roof (install new shingles, plywood, ice member), install pellet stove with new pipe = $1,225.00

1st, is this price too much for what is actually occuring, or is it about on par based on 1/2 day of labor for the # 1 install, vs full day of labor for the #2 install.

My existing setup can be found here : https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/need-your-help-please-is-this-a-good-price.131357/#post-1767751

The reason for such a high price on #1 is due to the fact of my liner of 20ft that would be required, in addition to the labor of course. Where as with option #2 I am dealing with more repair work than the actual install time it takes to run the pipe etc.

I know we're getting to 'crunch time' as my install wouldn't occur until early November since the schedule is pretty backed up, so I don't know really what I should do. Thoughts on which option I should take, and also if the price is legit?

Thanks!

Hi,

i'm not a contractor, but i can tell you my numbers that i got for an insert and chimney liner install, in the Greater Boston area.
i'm getting a 4" liner, in my 25' chimney, installed with my stove insert and it will cost $1100 for everything. I got the same estimate at a different store for the same insert. So $1225 for you doesn't sound completely out of the ballpark.

I would get another estimate or 2 if possible, that's the only way i think you can really tell if your estimate is right.

Reactions: Joe B One925
my install .... included pellet delivery $766
stove.jpg

stove.jpg

Thanks guys! I was a bit curious if this was way out of the ballpark or not. I guess I was thinking it was going to be $1K or less. As you know Thundercracker it's not cheap in MA, but based on the chimney size etc I thought it was close at least.

My wife is siding with the fact of keeping the chimney so we have less of a headache with possible issues with the 'roof fix'. I can't say I disagree either since removing a chimney and fixing a roof, and soffet is not light work.

Status
Not open for further replies.