Pellet Stove Installation Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Jan 8, 2015
WI
I just ordered a pellet stove - should have it next week.

I have a split level house with a below grade basement and a partially below grade basement (approx. 3 ft below grade). I would like to install the stove in the partial basement (bedrooms are above this area). The partial basement doesn't get much heat so my plan is to install a pellet stove down there so the heat can rise to the above bedrooms. The walls are 8" poured concrete and I do plan on finishing the area (not any time soon). I have core bits that I'm going to use to make my holes (intake and exhaust) - getting through the concrete will not be an issue.

I am going to assume, because concrete is non-combustible, I won't need to use a thimble. Correct?

Also, when I plan on finishing the room I'm going to frame it in leaving a 1" gap between the concrete wall and studs (for air circulation). At that point I my idea was to use a thimble for the stove pipe to go through the drywall and stop at the concrete. Is the common practice? Thanks in advance.

Yes, and yes. My thimble is just the one that came with a through the wall vent kit. The part that would usually go on the outside is inside of the concrete wall. I put hi-temp on it and tapconed it to the concrete wall, then the other half is on the inside of the 2x6 wall.

Reactions: Him
One more question...

How did you make your holes in the concrete wall? Did you core drill it or make many small holes and chisel it out?

I didn't have to, the thimble is attached to the hole where the old thimble was for the woodstove. The pellet pipe goes through the thimble and attaches to a liner inside the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.