Pellet stove installer recommendations for Western Maine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainfrog

Hearth Supporter
Jan 20, 2010
Western Maine
Bought a new house and need to install one, maybe two pellet stoves through a chimney. Does anyone in Western Maine have any recommendations for an installer? Any idea how much it would cost to run two sleeves down a chimney? Just curious are to what I am getting myself into. I would be happy to answer any questions if that would help. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum !!

You can try to PM summit. I think he works out of Portland or Augusta. Dont know how far west he travels.

I think I need to be a bit more specific. We just bought a house that is 20 years old. The house has two floors and a walk-in basement. I would estimate the chimney as being no more than 50' in length. We had some installers come in and look at the chimney. They looked at the chimney and quoted us about $2,000 to drop two parallel chimney sleeves for two pellet stoves. One on the main floor and one in the basement. The $2,00 would include hooking up the two pellet stoves and all labor. I am trying to determine if this is a reasonable quote or should we look elsewhere. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can also try using this installer website...just input your zip code and you'll get a list of nearby installers....call 2 or 3 to get estimates, plus the above forum members who also do installs.

www.nwdinc.com/installers.php

smwilliamson said:
You have 1200 in material there. are the guys worth $800? FYI, no pellet stove should be vented more than 40 ft.

Thanks for the estimate on the material/parts. I really had no idea what to expect. As far as the $800 in labor I am not really sure what to say. I really have no idea what this type of install "should" cost. Knowing that the material would cost around $1200 makes me think the quote is not exorbitant. Thanks again for the information on the materials.

50' is 5 stories tall.....what kind of house is this?

Delta-T said:

My mistake ... I had no way of measuring except by guessing. The house has a walk in basement and two floors. So I guess the chimney is around 30'.

I was picturing a tower, with moat and drawbridge, but a house is ok too. :)

mountainfrog said:
Delta-T said:

My mistake ... I had no way of measuring except by guessing. The house has a walk in basement and two floors. So I guess the chimney is around 30'.

Ok, then you are paying too much. You just cut the liner price by 40%

$800 in material and $1200 labor. Way up there in Maine, I'd get a few more quotes.

Call Jr. at Maine Stove and Chimney, Sanford, ME. They travel 50 miles. Good father and son operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.