Pellet Stove may have caused housefire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just at his cigar shop last week. From what I read I assume it was hot coals from ask he probably was caring outside

So yet again, The pellet stove will get the blame for operator error. When will people learn to use a metal pail for the ash and not set it on the porch? I just don't get it! :shut:

j-takeman said:
So yet again, The pellet stove will get the blame for operator error. When will people learn to use a metal pail for the ash and not set it on the porch? I just don't get it! :shut:

Put a window on an oil/gas furnace that allows people to see the flame and people would start blaming those too.

Dryers are responsible for far more fires, they're actually the most dangerous item in your house fire safety wise, but people never say "aren't those dangerous" when/if you mention you own one.

GrahamInVa said:
I assume the stove was in the house. It may have been a direct vent and cought some leaves on fire which ignited the garage?

Very sad none the less...

Usually lots of oily things in a garage, including the floor. Lots of fire potential there.

Weird tolienish figure said:
j-takeman said:

Put a window on an oil/gas furnace that allows people to see the flame and people would start blaming those too.

Dryers are responsible for far more fires, they're actually the most dangerous item in your house fire safety wise, but people never say "aren't those dangerous" when/if you mention you own one.

The ever present kitchen stove is the winner in the contest. That dryer is near the top.

With all three it is really the operator.

Pellet stove folks should be familiar with the leading cause of dryer fires - failure to clean aka the dirty dryer.

Carry on.

it says the fire started in the garage, was the stove installed in the garage, if not and it was in the house part then how would the stove start the garage afire? the stove may not have malfunctioned as the chief states but maybe the homeowner malfunctioned and did something wrong.

The article is pretty clear that the fire originated in a room of the house that was adjacent to the garage.

From the linked article... "Kevin Paige said the fire probably started near his home's pellet stove. The stove was in the room next to the garage."

I don't know a whole lot about you guys' stoves but I would seem to me that it's damn difficult to get your fire outside of the box. Must've been a serious malfunction or a really lousy chimney/vent pipe setup.

MasterMech said:
The article is pretty clear that the fire originated in a room of the house that was adjacent to the garage.

From the linked article... "Kevin Paige said the fire probably started near his home's pellet stove. The stove was in the room next to the garage."

I don't know a whole lot about you guys' stoves but I would seem to me that it's damn difficult to get your fire outside of the box. Must've been a serious malfunction or a really lousy chimney/vent pipe setup.

Actually it doesn't say that at all, it says the homeowner thinks it started near the pellet stove. It could have nothing to do with the pellet stove. It could be a stove malfunction, it could be improper installation, it could be ashes, or it could be an unrelated issue.

A lot of people think nothing of parking a hot car on top of an oil slick and their heat shield fell off the undercarriage god knows how long ago.

MasterMech said:

Let's try hot coals in a plastic vacuum for one possibility.

MasterMech said:

This brings up a good point about the safety of pellet stoves, the way they are designed the combustion chamber is sealed and has a negative pressure. It would be darn hard for the fire to get outside the stove unless there was some major malfunction or the owner left the door cracked open in which case I would think the fire would go out due to lack of draft. The hot ash in a plastic vacuum theory has some merit. At any rate the chance that the stove itself is to blame is slim to none, more than likely it would be a failure on the owner's part to properly maintain the stove.

Don's gonna be upset when he finds out other peeps are posting about house fires possibly caused by pellet stoves. :lol:

smoke show said:
Don's gonna be upset when he finds out other peeps are posting about house fires possibly caused by pellet stoves. :lol:

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

GrahamInVa said:
smoke show said:

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!

X3 Lol

---Nailer---

A different news source has a different twist to the story.....

"The Danbury Fire Department responded to a garage fire that extended into the house Friday afternoon.

Preliminary reports said no one was home when it started. Deputy Fire Marshal James Russell said the preliminary investigation said the pellet stove probably malfunctioned."

Source....
http://danbury.patch.com/articles/fire-on-wheeler-road

MarkF48 said:
A different news source has a different twist to the story.....

"The Danbury Fire Department responded to a garage fire that extended into the house Friday afternoon.

Preliminary reports said no one was home when it started. Deputy Fire Marshal James Russell said the preliminary investigation said the pellet stove probably malfunctioned."

Source....
http://danbury.patch.com/articles/fire-on-wheeler-road

Garage fire huh, likely pellet stove caused, code folks code, lets see hot coals in a pizza box in the garage or stove not where it should have been. Perhaps a vent seam inside the wall between the garage and house, once again code? Oh my the possibilities are endless.

Wait until Don sees this.

Status
Not open for further replies.