Pellet Stove on raised platform

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlotte

Feb 14, 2007
I'm building a house and thinking of putting a pellet stove in. I was wondering what effect putting the stove on a raised platform would have on how well it worked. I have two kids that are close to crawling, and I'm trying to think of ways to make it safer for them.

I would probably get a small Harman stove and put it in the family room where it could heat the kitchen, dining room and front room. I'll have a ceiling fan to help move air around as well as the blowers in the stove.

Will this make it harder for the stove to heat the room? Will it be difficult to fill and clean out?

Does anyone have some good tips for keeping kids away from stoves? I guess I could get a gate to put around the stove.

Thanks,

Charlotte

The only downside I can see is that you'd have to lift bags of pellets that much higher to get them into the hopper.

As far as heating goes though, i can't see how a foot or so off floor level is going to make a huge difference in the way the stove heats the room.

I have an insert sitting up on a about a 12" hearth. My 4 year old and 1 year old spent all but the last couple months in a home without a real stove. For our last home and the decorative gas fireplace I built a wrought iron gate that worked very well. Now with the new home and new hearth being 12" tall with an insert set upon it, and I believe just as importantly the hearth is larger horizontally than the stove means that those kiddos can't just bump into the stove. They have to lean in and reach up to hit it.

I have son that is almost 2 and we have a pellet stove that is our only heat source. we spent the summer telling him "no" and "hot". Now he really does not even pay attention to it. He has not tried to touch it since it has been running. Our stove is in the center of our house and he walks by it many times a day.

charlotte said:
I'm building a house and thinking of putting a pellet stove in. I was wondering what effect putting the stove on a raised platform would have on how well it worked. I have two kids that are close to crawling, and I'm trying to think of ways to make it safer for them.

I would probably get a small Harman stove and put it in the family room where it could heat the kitchen, dining room and front room. I'll have a ceiling fan to help move air around as well as the blowers in the stove.

Will this make it harder for the stove to heat the room? Will it be difficult to fill and clean out?

Does anyone have some good tips for keeping kids away from stoves? I guess I could get a gate to put around the stove.

Thanks,

Charlotte

If you end up looking for a gate, check out a Kidco Hearthgate. Five 24" panels (one of which is a door) that adjust at 10 degree increments. Does a great job at keeping my 17 month old away.

Hi

I have 3 small children, they are 6, 4, and 1 1/2. They have all been told NO and Hot, but it wasn't until they each got a burn till they learned. They all learn fast when pain is involved. I have two pellet stoves in my house so they both burn on a low setting. I had a lot of problems with my first kid, really scared he would burn himself. And he did, its amazing how fast they learn and HEAL. For each one it was a small burn, not even blistering and that was all it took to teach them. They don't touch the stoves and we have huge Fires in the bush, I let them throw sticks and help me cause I know they know. Its amazing how fast kids learn everything in life when you don't mother them like possesive parents, let them go try and that teaches them faster then you ever could doing things for them and preventing them from doing the wrong thing. Now I just have to teach the youngest one to stop dropping $hit in the fish tanks!

Two kids who are almost crawling, wow you must be busy.

The Kidco Hearthgate looks nice.

Our kids (2 and 4 years old) just never seemed to bother with the stove. It was put in last summer, so I'm sure they got all their "touching it" out of their systems before the heating season started. Once we started burning, they really did not seem to have much interest in it.

Good luck, and post pictures of your install.

Kenny said:
The Kidco Hearthgate looks nice.

Yeah, it works well. It can be mounted to the wall, but we have it freestanding due to a window and baseboard heater in the way. As long as there is enough angle it's sturdy enough as a freestanding gate. It could be tipped over, but by the time a child could do it they'd be old enough to understand that they need to stay away from the stove or fireplace.

Freestanding, it's also easier to move when I do a thorough cleaning of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.