Pellet Stove Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Johnson

Mod Emeritus
Nov 18, 2005
Central NYS
The office I work in has electric heat in a place where the rates are around 15 cents per kwh and it gets mighty cold in the winter. The building is a two-story wood-frame office complex with about 2,500 square feet of heated space on the main floor and another 750 on the lower level, which is basically a walk-in basement (i.e., cut into a hillside). Because there is no heat other than electric, the only access to the basement from the first floor is through a narrow stairway. No vents or any other way for air flow from bottom to top. The annual share of our electric bill devoted to heat is around $3,000, and going up steadily every year.

Last year we put programmable thermostats in the offices, since some of us only come in a few days a week, usually on a predictable schedule.

While I wish the building, built in 1970, had hydronic heat, it doesn't. I'm sure it was insulated up to the standards of the time. That doesn't leave us many options for alternatives to electricity.

One we have kicked around is wood pellets. I've been hanging around Hearth.com for long enough to know that a pellet stove in the basement area is probably only going to be effective in the basement, and maybe not even that effective there. My boss seems to think that it would heat the floor of the upstairs, and thus might be worth doing.

So my question is: would it? And if so, what size stove should we be looking at. Rough price? Pellet consumption?

Our office manager asked me who is going to tend the stove. "The boss," I said, since he's about the only one enthusiastic about the idea. He's looking for a three-year payback on the investment.

Any thoughts or observations are more than welcome.

Eric,
Is the basement insulated? If not, you may want to check out this recent, similar thread and the Woodstock Stove article on basement stove installations.

The Hearth Room: Researching Alternative Fuels
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/10029/

Woodstock Stove articles on Basement Installations
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/basement_install.html
Quotation:
“If you had a 20’ x 30’ basement with concrete or concrete block walls, your heat loss could easily be over 1 million BTUs per day through the walls (see page 3). Concrete or concrete block walls have the same R-value as a 3/4” thick particle board.”

~Cath

Eric Johnson said:
One we have kicked around is wood pellets. I've been hanging around Hearth.com for long enough to know that a pellet stove in the basement area is probably only going to be effective in the basement, and maybe not even that effective there. My boss seems to think that it would heat the floor of the upstairs, and thus might be worth doing.
So my question is: would it?
I suspect not, but it depends on the layout, location of the stove and desired comfort level. Is this an open floor plan or are there a lot of offices with doors on them. How are the two floor connected? But the pellet stove will still make a dent in the upstairs heating load.

And if so, what size stove should we be looking at. Rough price? Pellet consumption?

The biggest possible, like a Harman P68. ~($3500?), at least a bag a day, assuming it is set back at night. More during the really cold days.

You might want to consider the big Englander 25-PUF to save a bit and get a much larger hopper. It should have a much quicker payback and require less filling. Mike, what are they running for and what is the noise level from this unit? http://www.englanderstoves.com/25-puf.html

Our office manager asked me who is going to tend the stove. "The boss," I said, since he's about the only one enthusiastic about the idea. He's looking for a three-year payback on the investment.

I kind of doubt it, maybe 5 years, depends on the stove and the local pellet market. It's hard to say what fuel will do. With oil heading to $100/barrel, there could be a renewed crunch on the pellet market. America is just starting to wake up. It takes time to build infrastructure to support our potential consumption. The in-between years could be rough, so don't rip out those electric heaters quite yet.

But Eric, if this is in an office environment, how close to people will this unit be? A pellet stove is a small furnace. It has blowers that are not quiet, especially on high. Is that acceptable? Or can it be located in a general area that is at least 12 feet away from the nearest desk?

buy a least a 50,000 btu pellet stove and stick it in the office, not the basement. If you turn off the electric heat, you will be running the pellet stove ,guessing 14 hours out of 24 . you could use 1 to 2 bags of pellets per day, depending on outside temp and what you set the thrmostat at for inside temp. 5.oo x 14=70.oo weekx4 =280.oo say $300/month.

But that estimate based on every day being a cold day. with 1/2 cold days and 1/2 warmer days ., you could get buy with 1.3 bags a day, 1.3x 7=9.1 bags /wk x$5.oo= 45.50 x4=182.oo

250.oo-182=$68.oo/m x 6=$ 408.oo yr savings, but this is with pellet stove in office,not basement. maybe some one else pay to heat basement? only need 44 deg down there to keep any pipes from freezing.

pellet stove cost 2000.oo maybe 2400.oo plus 350.oo for double wall insulated stainless vent

maybe $2800.oo to 3000.oo

at some point in time the savings will be more as the electric bill must continue to rise.

pellets may or may not go up , depending on demand.

How is the noise level? Would this work in an office running on medium heat?

BeGreen said:
How is the noise level? Would this work in an office running on medium heat?

probably be ok, i dont think its any much louder than another stove is, pellet stoves are obviously loud compared to woodstoves, but i figure it wouldnt be run flat out during office hours right next to your desk anyway. would make a lot less noise than a copier would anyway(at least less than the one in my office.

Yep. I figure medium for most of the winter. When it's -10 outside and needs to run on high, most people will be glad it's cranking out the heat.

Gotta love that 240 lb. (6 bag) hopper. That will cover a whole week under normal conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.