Pellet stove recommendations for 800-1500 sq ft space.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pellet mullet

Oct 27, 2019
Detroit, Mi
Hi friends,

what an incredible source of sharing of information. I've combed through here looking for information and it has been mightily helpful.

I'm looking to get a pellet stove to our 1910 colonial style house. It will be working in tandem with our forced air system so it will not be heating the whole 2500 square feet. It'll primarily be for 3 adjacent rooms totaling about 800 square feet, but any extra heat to the house is welcome!

So I'm looking for a smaller pellet stove, preferably on the quieter side, with simple venting options. I wanted to put in a wood stove but chimney situation proved too difficult so I'm enamored with the idea of direct venting. I've looked at Quadfire santa fe and Harmon P43, which are definitely on the upper end of my price range but definitely prefer quality over price. Thank you all!

Hi friends,

what an incredible source of sharing of information. I've combed through here looking for information and it has been mightily helpful.

I'm looking to get a pellet stove to our 1910 colonial style house. It will be working in tandem with our forced air system so it will not be heating the whole 2500 square feet. It'll primarily be for 3 adjacent rooms totaling about 800 square feet, but any extra heat to the house is welcome!

So I'm looking for a smaller pellet stove, preferably on the quieter side, with simple venting options. I wanted to put in a wood stove but chimney situation proved too difficult so I'm enamored with the idea of direct venting. I've looked at Quadfire santa fe and Harmon P43, which are definitely on the upper end of my price range but definitely prefer quality over price. Thank you all!

The P43 would certainly do what you want easily. We've been heating a not very well insulated ~ 900 sf cabin for the past couple of years on the chilly edge
Hi friends,

The P43 would handle the job with ease and probably heat much if not most of the rest of the house during less that super cold times. We heat a not especially well insulated cabin with one in a location that sees temperatures down to the -20 F range. Distributing the heat throughout the house might be the harder nut to crack. The P 43 is quick and easy to clean and has a very good parts availability. It will digest and burn pretty much any pellets that are made. Can't address the Santa Fe as I have no direct experience with one.

Hugh

Heated my 1600sf ranch for 17yrs with a Quad cb1200. Not a noisy stove but they all make noise.

Thanks for those suggestions.

Are both of these direct vent? I’m pretty descent with diy stuff, is this something I could setup on my own? My understanding is you can just direct vent straight out the wall with pretty minimal clearance.

Hi friends,

below is an example of pellet stove venting.... we decided on putting the vertical pipe on as it comes in handy when or if the power goes out and the smoke has a longer run to escape and not back up into your house. happened a few times with us with power outtages..
as far as size stove, we have a 1920's un-insulated house..I mean nothing in the walls and lot's of windows..thermal windows but about 18 total for a 2 story house.. we oversized a bit [for 2 reasons] when we bought our HarmanP61A as we wanted the heat to go up the steps to the 2nd floor bedrooms where it is met by a ceiling fan on low at the top of the steps to bring up the heat..[upstairs get's to 67 degrees or so which is where we like it. a p43 should do the trick as a few have stated but i have always been informed to go bigger than you think you need as you can always kick it up on those polar vortex windy nights which we get alot.. you do not have to run it full throttle all the time but it's there if you need it. better than undersized and let me preface that by saying every house is different and requirements wil be different due to where the sun shines on your house, drafts, air leaks, floor plan etc so always better to be a bit oversized... I would not want to run my stove full throttle all the time if i don't have to..
we have 800 sq down and almost the same upstairs...
we burn 24/7 when the weather starts to get colder both day and nights... hope this helps..

Attachments

• IMG_1840.JPG
    IMG_1840.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1737.JPG
    IMG_1737.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 193
Last edited: