1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellet Stove Tee

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by ylomnstr, Sep 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ylomnstr

ylomnstr Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Staatsburg, NY
    So I recently installed my pellet stove and upon firing it up the past few nights, i saw a decent amount of smoke blowing out the bottom of the tee. Not knowing any better, I used some high heat silicone and aluminum tape to seal the bottom of it better, but now I'm realizing that the bottom of the tee is used for cleanout. Now that I've done that, am I going to have a problem with the cleaning? Also, my tee had to go on a 45 degree angle in order for the pipe to line up right. The dealer said thats fine that way. Is this going to be a problem?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Panhandler

Panhandler Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WV Northern Panhandle
    Although my tee is not on a 45, I just disconnect it from the stove. I stuck a piece of garden hose in the hose of my shop vac and then a more flexible piece of tubing about half inch in diameter to reach down into tee. I also use this for cleaning parts inside stove including the combustion blower.
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

I hope not....I'm doing the same thing w/ my stove. Stove pipe dealer didn't seem to have a problem w/ that set-up.
  4. Shane

Shane Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Casper Wyoming
    Won't be a problem at all. In addition you can usually clean the tee out fairly well when the combustion blower is pulled. Sometimes taking off the tee cap is necessary but not always.
  5. coreystaf

coreystaf New Member

Loc:
    Southwest CO
    just for future reference, the HT silicone will be really hard to get apart if you need to take the cap back off, hopefully you can get in another way. What I do with the tee caps when they smoke a bit is just take the cap out and lay in another ring of 3/8 or smaller stove gasket on top of the original gasket that is supposed to seal the cap. Its hard to turn the cap the first few times, but you will always be able to get it apart that way
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.