1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pellet Stove Thermometer

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by MainePellethead, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MainePellethead

MainePellethead Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Hey all:

Can someone tell me where I can get a stove thermometer thats for pellet pipe(double walled). Everywhere I look there are ones for single walled. I bought one but didnt realize it was for single walled til I got home. And is it true that you should place it on the pipe 18" approx. above the stove?

Thanks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. beerwizza

beerwizza New Member

Loc:
    South Attleboro, Ma
    How about an infrared thermometer? I picked one up at Harbor Freight for about $30. Point it at whatever you want and read the led screen. I monitor my heat output and the temps of different parts of my stove at different settings to get the most of my pellets. I couldn't find the one I bought at the store but this would work maybe,

harbor freight
  3. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    My question is... Why?
  4. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Why not? I use to have one with my woodstove but I see more sense for one with a pellet stove. As in seeing the variations with pellet brands etc......also seeing what going into the stove pipe I suppose.
  5. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    AwsumSS - Probably the pipe - exhaust gas would be the best indicator. but because it is double wall does present a problem for accuracy. I placed the thermostat that I have on the side of the stove near the front (you can just barely see it in my aviator pic) where I guess most of the heat flows by. While my stove is steel the temp that the thermostat reads may not be 100% accurate but at least it gives me an index to work from. Average temp of a setting of 4 will produce 450 - 470* depending on the pellet used. hmmmm yes we were talking about this in another post.... lol... Also between Lowes or HD I didn't see any pellet pipe thermo's

It's interesting though as I read here that some stoves use the exhaust temp to help regulate the stove depending on what setting you have it on. Getting complicated... but more efficient.
  6. MainePellethead

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    Well a couple places I have seen....people/companies etc. saying the thermo should be 18" above the top of the stove. My "guess" is that...if its not that hot 18" above the stove then maybe your not losing really much heat into the exhaust pipe so your efficiency is as good as it will be? My pipe goes straight out maybe 2-3' then up....doesnt get that hot that far out so I probably am good. But would like to know the variations in the brands of pellets I am using though.
  7. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Yes I agree that the exhaust temp would be a more precise measurement.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.