Pellet stove vs. pellet insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsegreti

Aug 4, 2011
Upstate New York
Hi,
I'm considering buying either a pellet stove or a pellet insert to supplement my oil heat and I am wondering about the performance/efficiency of pellet stove vs. a pellet insert?

The specific appliances I'm comparing are the Timberwolf TPS35 (Stove) and the Timberwolf TPI35 (Insert). I will be installing it in a 940 sq. ft. Ranch house. In either case I would be venting the appliance through the existing fireplace and chimney so there would essentially be no difference in the installations in that regard. Both have blowers and are rated at 38,250 BTU (high burn). Area heated is 800-2000 for both. With all seeming to be equal on these two models is there an efficiency difference between the stove vs. the insert? Common sense tells me that there would be slightly more heat loss with the insert than with the stove since the insert would sit almost directly beneath the flue and some heat would be lost up it. Is it enough loss to be worried about in this case? Any other comments or opinions?

Thanks in advance!
Tom

Performance/Efficiency would be the same as its really the same stove just different trim. What you might want to consider is the ease of cleaning. I give the freestanding stoves the nod as you don't need to pull it from the fireplace to maintain it.

I agree with the J-man. Inserts are a pain in the butt to do the spring cleaning on, hard to track down/detect exhaust pipe leaks, run outside air to, and I would also imagine that there would be, as you suggest, some heat loss up the flue or into the firebox area if the back of the stove gives off any heat.

Inserts can be a pain to clean. I installed rails on mine so I can slide my stove out for easier maintenance.

I didn't have much floor space to give up, so the insert works great for me.

The biggest problem is that most inserts, if not all, have a smaller hopper capacity. To me, this is the one issue that would make me give up space for a free standing stove.

insert all the way. i so glad i did. your fireplace is doing nothing and why not fill that space isntead taking away space u will need for a freestanding.

they are a bit more work cleaning but im happy with mine and it looks like it belongs there!

I went with an Insert to save on space. It is a hassle to clean the pipe and get to internals for repairs/maintenance. Mine is on wheels so its not to bad. If I had more space in the living room I would have gone with the freestanding. Overall its worked out pretty well having the insert.

Schoondog

You guys with eirther rails or wheel's, if i installed that on mine, great idea but the metal trim side panels would have a gap at the bottom each side.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I've decided to go with the insert . All else being equal I do have a rather small living room so I would like the extra space afforded by the insert. I don't think I'll mind pulling it out to clean it one a year if it gives me a little bit more space.

you will be pulling out more then once a year. ever ton you should be doing a major cleaning. cheap insurance to make it last for you.

good luck I love my insert and have more room in my home.

Status
Not open for further replies.