Pellet stove with battery back up?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

homeheater

Oct 28, 2017
ft wayne
Asking for a co worker. She has mentioned a pellet stove with a battery backup, how would that work,is their such a thing. I have run mine with a 1200 watt generator for a few days but what a hassle and expensive.

Battery backup up used in most cases to shut down your stove (properly)
during a power outage or may run your stove a few hours maybe a day or two.
You will still need to charge the battery.
I use a genny for a few hours or longer if necessary. My power goes out for a few minutes
to 34 days (the longest it has been Out )

Reactions: Washed-Up
Kind of what I thought. The stove is the only heat they have and she has mentioned a new stove with a battery backup I was wondering how long a typical battery would run a fan on a stove.

My stove runs on 150 watts after the igniter goes off. That would be exhaust fan, distribution blower and auger. How to calculate that into how long a battery would last is above my pay grade.

When I bought mine there was a stove, Thelin I believe was the name of it. Nice looking stove tall and narrow, had a 12v in the back of it, I believe it had a charger to keep it charged. Power goes out the battery would run it, it had 12VDC motors. I really liked it but bought the Harman on the dealers advice, he told me less maintenance on the Harman, and I could run a ton of pellets though it before I needed to empty the ash pan. That sold it for me.

Last winter I used my Ryobi battery power station to run the P43 during a power outage. It has four 6.0 ah (40v) batteries. I believe that is the same as 6*40 (240) times 4 batteries = 960 wh (I could be wrong).

It ran the P43 for 5-6 hours continuous (including original ignition), before needing charged. I have since bought a couple of portable Bluetti solar powered battery packs (also can be charged other ways). The ones I bought are around 1,100 wh, so should last about the same amount of time (they lose a bit due to fans and electronics that manage the battery. They sell much larger capacity battery backup systems (that obviously aren't as portable) that can b e tied into your house electrical system. Those can be eligible for a tax credit (after a certain size).

Even if you run a generator all day (or a portion), you could charge smaller battery packs at the same time then use the battery pack at night so the generator can be turn off.

For those that are more DIY, one can set up a system with marine deep cycle batteries. But that is all I know aobut that.

I believe there are some stoves sold with a battery back up, but I don't know which ones.

A pure sinewave UPS should be able to run any stove, no matter the brand of stove.
A typical pellet stove consumes 300W to 500W when the ignitor is on, for 5 minutes or so, and once the stove is lit, and the ignitor turns off, they typically draw 50W to 80W, to run the combustion blower, room fan, and the auger motor.

Try a Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD. Note that the Cyberpower model number needs "PFC" in the model number to be a pure sinewave UPS (they also make non-pure sinewave models).

If you need more run-time, you can connect two larger 12V Gel Cells, or two 12V car batteries to the unit, rather than the 2 internal 12V 9AH gel cells. The batteries are connected in-series, for 24VDC. When the AC power returns, the UPS will automatically recharge the battery.

With the internal batteries (2 x 12V 9Ah) this should be able to run an already burning pellet stove for about 50 minutes. If you use two H6 AGM 12V car batteries (2 x 12V 70Ah), that should be able to run the stove for 7.8 times longer, for about 7.8 hours.

Reactions: jonj3233
Here is a stove with a built in battery backup. Looks like it requires two deep cycle marine batteries (which they sell the kits). It is a smaller stove, at 35k btu. They claim 40 hours of runtime with the two batteries, which I find hard to believe since they battery kits they show seem to be fairly low on the kw scale. But, I'm just going by my P43 and in some cold and windy NH winter weather (and no sun), so I'm sure there are circumstances where 40 hours is feasible. You could always get additional batteries (or buy larger capacity batteries).

Ah, after looking at the battery kit page, they hook up via DC, whcih is more efficient that AC. And it looks like it really does use very little power.

1697612925913.png