Pellet stoves and apartments

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SebMcc

Hearth Supporter
Nov 17, 2007
NOVA
Hello there,

Just started researching pellet stoves and already thinking about getting one for my gf because she lives in a cold and expensive part of the country. I did a search for pellet stoves for apartments, but I only seem to run into ones for homes or mobile homes.
I take it that apartments are somewhat excluded from this technology.

Her place is actually a condo with a deck
Would there be any experts in here that know of a clever work around for this situation?

Thanks,

Seb

Probably not mentioned because The term apartment would signify that it is rented and most landlords would not want a tennant cutting holes in the wall and then taking the stove with them.
Also comes the problem of storing pellets in an apartment.

I would think that installing a pellet stove without clearing it with the condo owner and the condo association would be a bad idea. If she plans on living there for a long time, then she should take this up with the owner.

Yes yes,
Of course permission will be sought.
I am more interested in a pellet stove for that is "suitable" for an apartment or condo.
And the only reason I was researching the pellet stove was because I heard how efficient and environmentally friendly it was.

I am looking for solutions. Not reasons why she should not have one.

Perhaps there is other efficient heating technology out there for non homeowners.

Thoughts?

Find out the sq ft of the apartment and select the pellet stove to handle the sq ft of the apt or higher.

Pellets stoves are small 1000 sq ft heating
medium 1500 to 1800 sq ft
large 2000 sq ft

www.englanderstoves.com sold from home depot

www.summerheatstoves.com sold at lowes home improvement are about the least expensive new stoves you can buy.

You also have to make sure you dont get too big a pellet stove for the area you want 2 heat , because you could have a problem that on the lowest setting it still makes too much heat for you to be comfortable.

Too small a stove wont heat the farther reaches of the area, even on the highest settings.

If you have many rooms, larger is better, because you can control the temp to an extent by opening the doors to the cold rooms , to cool down the room a larger stove might overheat.

Most people buy a pellet stove , see if it heats the room it is in , then open the door to the next room & see if it will heat that room too, & if it does, they open the door to a 3rd room to see if they can heat that also & so on , until they find a room that the stove dont heat & then they moan & groan that they should have bought a bigger stove .

Human nature,go figure.

HAVE TO CHECK WITH LANDLORD FIRST,FIRE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL HAVE TO BE NOTIFIED, insurance rates may be increased & a professional installation, up to fire codes
and certified will be demanded because it is a multi family dwelling.

Rental law states that objects attached to the building become the property of the landlord,
so you would need to get a written agreement with him so that he can't claim the pellet stove belongs to him after the gf moves out.

The vent kit, which is actually the part attached to the building will stay with the landlord,
unelse you make arraingements to return the wall to original condition before vacating.

That means that you cant tell a vent kit was ever installed there & the paint matches.

No One sells a "pellet stove for appartments" , it is the same stove weather you rent a place or hold the deed.

Status
Not open for further replies.