pellet vent change

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

myers7457

Oct 9, 2011
central pa
I have been having issues with stove. I have discovered I needed to put another vertical section of pipe on exhaust. I currently have simpson duravent. I have all joints siliconed. The current setup works but makes it diffucult to take apart and clean. What other brands are available. Do they all have to be used with silicone. Anybody have anywhere it can be purchased at a discount thanks.

Hello

You can use High temperature foil tape instead of HT Silicone. That way it comes apart much easier. I purchased the High temp Foil Tape at home depot for $15.00

edited and mistakenly reposted instead of updated

the installer who put our stove in said the excel is top notch.
but he did say it was a little bit of a pain to work with and had his helper as a second pair of hands as they fit the pieces together.

hmmm. i wonder if that means taking it apart has problems associated with it.
i would like to know if that's true or not though.
does it tolerate dis and re-assembly?
i figure if anything happens to those gaskets, it's pretty much over.

there are no leaks at all in mine since the install. and i'm not just going by smell.
the co detector is quietly sitting there doing it's job with no alarms.

St_Earl said:
the installer who put our stove in said the excel is top notch.
but he did say it was a little bit of a pain to work with and had his helper as a second pair of hands as they fit the pieces together.

They DO fit snugly, but that's what keeps the smoke INSIDE

hmmm. i wonder if that means taking it apart has problems associated with it.

The fit is tight, but they come apart easier than they go together

i figure/guess if anything happens to those gaskets, it's pretty much over.

The RTV Silicon gaskets should last many years are easily replaceable if they DO fail...

there are no leaks at all in mine since the instal. and i'm not just going by smell.
the co detector is quietly sitting there doing it's job with no alarms.

Mine has been hooked up for 4 years without issue, & I disassemble it every
year for cleaning...

The BIG problem with ICC Excel venting is the price, but you
get a LIFETIME guarantee, so I believe that makes it worth
the price...YMMV

What does you current vent setup consist of, and why the need for more vertical? As far as disassembling to clean, I don't think it's necessary. Use a linteater and/or a leafblower after each ton or so, and you should be just fine in most circumstances.

myers7457 said:
I have been having issues with stove. I have discovered I needed to put another vertical section of pipe on exhaust. I currently have simpson duravent. I have all joints siliconed. The current setup works but makes it diffucult to take apart and clean. What other brands are available. Do they all have to be used with silicone. Anybody have anywhere it can be purchased at a discount thanks.

thanks for the answers, daksy.
lol. i guess i should know more about my own set up.
on the other hand, i just got great news. a lifetime warranty! woot. :)

A little water and dish soap mixture as lubricant for the gasket makes installation easier.

But the OP needs to match the existing venting or completely replace it.

ok maybe I am stupid here today.first is how old of venting is it? the old no sealer galvanized venting from the 90's, when gas pipe was same as pellet pipe in most installs? I understand the reason for using silicone at the first connection, ie stove to pipe adapter. after that your pipe should A have a red silicone ring gasket inside and/or B a gasket like your stove door. If installed correctly these connections should not leak. you dont use sealer on every joint for gas installs, and that makes co also. my simpson duravent has both the red ring and the door welping.

I"m using simpsons multi-fuel vent. Metal to metal, like the old "b" vent. Leaks from everywhere lot of heat tape (aluminum tape) required. Have already expressed my opinion in previous posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.