1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellet Vent Options: Duravent, Selkirk, Other?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ossy, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ossy

Ossy New Member

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I am looking to purchase a vent kit for my stove in the next week. There are several considerations that I am looking at with the different products, namely:

1. Selkirk Direc Temp Kit, Up and Out: I like this kit because the OAk is part of the vent pipe...it uses the chamber between the inner and outer liner to bring the fresh air into the pellet stove. I like the idea of not having 2 seperate holes in the wall. My only question is there any draw back to this design?...leakage? www.northweststoves.ca/pdf/selkirk/b-selkirk-direct-temp-pellet.pdf

2. Dura Vent Pro-Apparently an adjustable pipe section can be used as part of this setup....I like this in case I decide to replace/upgrade to another stove in the future...I really don't want to have to do a considerable amount of adjusting with respect to the location of the wall thimble ...I would rather take it up in the pipe itself...again, my question is what pros/cons are there with this setup?

Finally, anyone other manufacturers out there with a reasonable price kit?...with the features above?

Thanks to all for feedback..

Ossy

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. slink

slink New Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    I have not sold or installed the selkirk but I am a bit leary of it in principal. Drawing cold air around your hot exhaust pipe will lower the internal temps it is possible in theory to create cresote in the exhaust pipe. I am sure it in highly unlikely but I would say possible. I have not heard of any issues or real world problems just something to think about. To begin with you shouldn't have any issues, over time your stove's combustion fan will slow and possibly the fuel will not burn completely causing smoke. If the vent is too cool it can condense just as a wood stove pipe. I hope I didn't start a long argument here but just a thought.
  3. kinsmanstoves

kinsmanstoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kinsman, Oh 44428 Brookfield, Oh 44403
    I stock Dura Vent Pellet Vent Pro. I can help, give a call

Eric
    330-876-0200
  4. mysticfalcon

mysticfalcon New Member

Loc:
    Northern VT
    I love the ICC pellet vent pipe. The silicone gaskets are great. Especially when you need to take it apart. That is all we stock.
  5. Czech

Czech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Twin Cities, MN
    I installed the direct temp 4 years ago, no problems so far. I like it for the same reasons you've mentioned. The pipe has the impregnated rope seals and I haven't had leakage or build up at all.
  6. smoke show

smoke show Guest

On the selkirk direct temp you don't have to draw the fresh air in thru the outer chamber, and the clearance to combustibles remains one inch.
  7. eddyburns

eddyburns Member

Loc:
    central mass
    My local inspector has indicated that the minimum clearance to combustables should be governed by the stove specifications, rather than the pipe specifications. The stove requires PL pipe. Is the direct temp rated as PL pipe - its not obvious from Selkirk's site? Is there any documentation that would support a 1" pipe clearance to combustables where the stove (austroflamm) manual says 3" and the pipe says 1"?

EddyBurns
  8. kklockars@cox.net

kklockars@cox.net New Member

Loc:
    Northern RI
    I like the ICC as well, my freinds used others and had to caulk the seams and then apply foil tape to them. Mine just seals with a gasket.
  9. smoke show

smoke show Guest

from their website, it's the best i can come up with

Minimum Clearance and Framing
    Model DT has a 1” minimum airspace clearance to
    combustibles requirement when used as L Vent. This
    applies whether DT is being used to bring outside air to
    the pellet appliance or not.
    “Combustibles” include framing lumber, drywall, plaster,
    plywood, paneling and other building materials.
    For penetrating walls, ceiling joists or roof joists the
    required framing dimensions are 8-5/8” x 8-5/8”. This
    will provide a 1” clearance for a properly centered vent.
    NOTE: While these instructions focus on proper
    installation of DT when outside air is being drawn to
    appliance, if other sources of combustion air are provided,
    DT may be used with the combustion air passageway
    blocked, still at 1” airspace clearance.
  10. DiggerJim

DiggerJim Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northcentral Connecticut
    Technically speaking DT has a 3" clearance because it's a pellet pipe inside another pipe (kind of like in a lined flue) so the clearance should be calculated from the interior venting pipe wall for purposes of meeting the stove's requirement as you have the space between that and the outer wall (the outside air channel) as part of the overall clearance from combustibles.

On the other hand that will require an inspector who's willing to look at the intent of the rule and not the letter and I'll bet you that yours will take the safer course of applying the 3" standard to the exterior of the Selkirk pipe. He's got nothing to gain by doing anything else (like using the Selkirk 1" spec) and a lot to lose if your house burns down and the insurance company comes asking. He's not in the business of going out on a limb. There's a saying about fighting city hall that probably applies here. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.