Pellets as Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
My tree clipping kindling is running out as winter is getting ready to turn into spring.

I'm wondering if pellets -WITHOUT ANY FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS BEING ADDED :ahhh: - can be added to my larger pieces of kindling to help things get started?

I'm burning in a Jotul 550 insert.

I suppose but the density of pellets usually requires an accelerant like gelled alcohol etc., to get started.

Pellets are generally not good starters. Use of petroleum products in your stove is prohibited. You're far better off getting some boxes of dry kindling. Try local cabinetry shops, millworkers, trim shops, or flooring contractors. Bring boxes with you and ask about scraps. Just get the unfinished stuff. I get it by the box load and it works great.

Or contact Thomas for some SuperCedars. He'll send you a sample and may put you into contact with local dealers. You'll love them.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/15113/

no forests near you where you could go snap (or cut) off some long dead pine branches ?

I have my own supply of 30 year old white pine, a lifetime supply of pine kindling.

I'm not sure how often you are starting a fire, but having used my samples of SuperCedars, and then buying some other branded starters, there is no comparison. SuperCedar starters will start some pretty big stuff without much in the way of kindling material. If you haven't tried them, do so! You may not need much kindling other than a few smaller splits. I need to get mine ordered.

Ditto on the SuperCedars. I have plenty of kindling but am not using it. I only start a fire when away or something, other than that we are 24/7. BUT, I break up 1/2 a Super Cedar into about 4 pieces on top of some crumpled newspaper, then I put 4 med splits in log cabin style over that. Ingite and forget it; off she goes.
I am not going to cut kindling anymore. It'll most likely take me years to use what I have.

Thanks for the recommend. I just got off of the phone with the SuperCedars and a box of 100 should be on my doorstep in the near future.

Sounds like they are a good replacement for the fat wood that I have been using. I was using the tiny kindling to get the fat wood started!!!! Seems like this will make everything a lot simpler and take up a whole lot less storage space. :)

I love learning all of the tricks you guys know. Takes years off of my learning curve. ;-)

The super cedars burn long and very cleanly. That will help keep the glass cleaner too. I think you will like them. Try using just a half or a quarter of one once you get used to them. And do try to pick up a box of cabinetry or flooring scraps. Together with the super cedars, your fire will almost start itself.

daleeper said:
I'm not sure how often you are starting a fire, but having used my samples of SuperCedars, and then buying some other branded starters, there is no comparison. SuperCedar starters will start some pretty big stuff without much in the way of kindling material. If you haven't tried them, do so! You may not need much kindling other than a few smaller splits. I need to get mine ordered.

i agree - LOVE these things!!! will need more for next season

I will have to throw an empty box in the back of my car and keep my eyes open for places that may have 'scraps' that I can use. I am sure my kids will just love having me add this to my wood 'scrounging' list. I already pick up garden clippings around my neighborhood and we live across from a small park and are on first name basis with the guys who keep it up. They are about to do a big clean up on the trees and I am going to be right there directing the wood to my driveway. My 14 year old daughter would like to pretend she doesn't know me or live here....Needless to say my kids don't get as excited as I do about finding free things to burn. :)

Maybe some day they will understand but I'm not waiting for that to happen..
BeGreen said:
The super cedars burn long and very cleanly. That will help keep the glass cleaner too. I think you will like them. Try using just a half or a quarter of one once you get used to them. And do try to pick up a box of cabinetry or flooring scraps. Together with the super cedars, your fire will almost start itself.

Not to worry, they'll pick up on your habits right around when they start paying for their own heating bills.

Status
Not open for further replies.