Pellets burning really smoky this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

atracksler

Apr 13, 2011
Kittery, ME
I have a traeger pellet furnace. Installed last year and had no problems once I got the hang of it. We just started burning again this year. We bought maines choice pellets from lowes, and they seem to be Heath okay, but the amount of smoke coming out of the chimney is on the border of insane.

Has anyone else seen this happen? Is it normal? Is it just burning oddly since it is kinda warm out and only has to heat the house about 10 degrees?

Thanks in advance, ad

Is the unit clean? OAK/intake, vent pipe, burn pot, etc? If you crank her up, does the smoke clear up?

Are there a lot of trees with leaves on them still around your house? If so, they are keeping the smoke down low. The unit always smokes a little at start up, more so with it set on the longer setting. Putting it on the shorter setting (mine is 8 minutes) and the draft fan on medium reduces the smoke when the unit kicks back on ~ it still will smoke a little.

I assume you bought the unit from Mark. Don't be afraid of calling him for information. He wants you happy, and showing off your unit to your friends and family :)

Sinnian, That seemed to do the trick!

Is there a rule of thumb on the burn times? I havent been able to figure out which is better in general... Although the 8 min cycle seems to have cleared up the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust!

Mark and I are in touch when I need help. He has been huge!

I used to leave it on the longer cycle thinking I would use less pellets, but ran into the same issue as you. Plus I "had" a bunch of oaks that would take forever to lose their leaves and keep the smoke from rising.

Now the oaks are gone (too close to the house anyway by Fire Wise standards), and I use the 8 minute cycle and leave the draft on medium. I have less smoke, and really haven't noticed any increase in pellet usage.

I actually saw Mark today, and mentioned your post. I finally got the draft fan upgrade!!! It will be sooooo much easier to clean now! It was pretty simple to install, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.