pellets in a tarm 502 natural draft

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
Hello,
I tried some wood pellets in the old 502 today. first i installed the (home made) coal baffles. I put some double layered hardware cloth on the grates and rolled it up the front of the boiler. I poured in 40 lbs of pellets and lit it with a torch. It took a while to come up to temp. (3 hours) but heats the house just fine. i added another 10 or so lbs and hope to get thru a few more hours. I have great draft so it definitely works. Little to no smoke after it gets going (45 min) or so. BUT it costs too much. all of my wood is free. I am going to run out this yr too early so i tried the alternative. Yes it works, but for a price. I figure it would cost almost 300 bux a month to heat this old 3000 sf house. Anyone else try pellets in a natural draft boiler?
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.