1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

pellets in buderus hydronic system

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by dilligaf, Dec 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dilligaf

dilligaf New Member

Loc:
    betsycoont@yahoo.com
    hi, this forum has been a source of info for me for awhile now, so i joined to ask the membership a question

i have a buderus multi-fuel boiler, and i was a lazy **** this summer and do not have much wood to burn.

i went to get a bunch of coal, but the local dealer has decided to just stock pellets

so, i bought some, and made a 15 inch by 5 inch tray, with 3/8 inch holes drilled throughout to pour pellets in, and put split firewood on either side of it.

i do not have any kind of auger/hopper system, this is manual, i add some pellets when i am in-house and tending to the burner.

the sampson control seems to be working fine, to regulate the air intake when the temp changes

just wondering about any pitfalls associated with my method, and any input about how to make my boiler more effecient when i burn pellets in it

thanks for any and all feedback

EDIT:
    i realize this should probably be in the 'boiler room' topic, my apologies for making the staff work, i'll read more before my next post

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    My opinion is that you are paying vastly more for heat than you have to and probably gunking up your boiler and your flue

Get some hard coal for that boiler - it is a lousy wood burner anyway (if you have a Buderus Lagana)
  3. dilligaf

dilligaf New Member

Loc:
    betsycoont@yahoo.com
    exactly what i have, didn't remember the 'logana' name on it, thought it was a nice piece of equipment... but it was installed in the 80s

i have family member with a huge truck to get coal from about an hour away, just needed something to keep the oil tank full as we're getting a cold spell right now (south of albany)

thanks for the help, i appreciate it
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
  5. dilligaf

dilligaf New Member

Loc:
    betsycoont@yahoo.com
    cheers for the link admin, think it's the post that led me to the forum when i had issues with the sampson controller for the intake.

I've burned coal with zero problems in the past, your advice will save me cash this winter :D

cheers and stay warm
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.