Pellets over flowing in burn pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gussie02

Nov 6, 2019
I have a 2001 Englander pellet stove 25pdv. I just replaced the combustion blower. The burn pot is still overflowing. It doesn't seem to be dropping too many pellets it just doesn't seem to burning them up. Is there another part I need to replace to help with this.

Is the stove clean? Really clean? Have you changed pellet brands? Did you do the mods to the burn plate and block off the two holes under the burn plate? What settings are you running?

It was just cleaned last night. I haven't changed brands. I use lignetics. I haven't done any mods to burn plate. The top is on 3 and 5. The bottom 3 are 151. I have also tried turning the middle number on the bottom up with no change

Reactions: BackDoc
From what I understand the bottom numbers only affect the burn when you are on feed rate of 1 or 2 only. There is a guy on here with the screen name of Ssyko. He will get you straightened out. I have a 2004 Englander PDV that is running great thanks to him. I am not sure what to suggest since no other variables were changed. I can tell you that the burn plate mod was the single best thing I did for my stoves performance.

From what I understand the bottom numbers only affect the burn when you are on feed rate of 1 or 2 only. There is a guy on here with the screen name of Ssyko. He will get you straightened out. I have a 2004 Englander PDV that is running great thanks to him. I am not sure what to suggest since no other variables were changed. I can tell you that the burn plate mod was the single best thing I did for my stoves performance.
What did you do to the burn plate? Plug holes?

burnplate.jpeg

That is the diagram for the mods. You should also plug the two holes under the burn plate. I used balled up foil last winter. This year I bought two magnets from Harbor Freight and put them over the holes. They will be on each side under the burn plate.

Did you remove the combustion blower and clean the chamber and fan blades? is the vent pipe clean? Removed impingement plate claened all the nooks and crannies down behind it? The leaf blower trick works the best on englander for cleaning?

Did you remove the combustion blower and clean the chamber and fan blades? is the vent pipe clean? Removed impingement plate claened all the nooks and crannies down behind it? The leaf blower trick works the best on englander for cleaning?
Just changed the combustion blower and vent pipe is clean. Where is the impingement plate?

The impingement plate is the big metal plate behind the burn pot. It lifts out. There is a rectangle opening behind it that needs to be vacuumed out but the leaf blower trick works better.

Reactions: Ssyko
The impingement plate is the big metal plate behind the burn pot. It lifts out. There is a rectangle opening behind it that needs to be vacuumed out but the leaf blower trick works better.
So you just lift it out? Didn't know there was a plate to take out.

Yes, it has a tab on the front that you can hold and then lift the plate straight up and then bring the bottom out first. Clean the plate off. Vacuum behind the plate in the rectangle hole. If you aren't going to do the leaf blower clean out (and you should) then try to get an attachment for your vacuum that will reach in there. Tap on the heat exchanger with a piece of 2x4 or a rubber mallet and vacuum again. Some guys make them with hoses that attach to the end of their shop vac/ash vac hose and snake it down in there. The leaf blower clean out is by far the best and easiest way to clean an Englander. If you haven't done an actual deep clean you will also want to take your room blower out and clean it, lube the shaft and reinstall. I don't buy gaskets. I use the white gasket sheets and cut my own. Ash is a very effective insulator and it will rob you of heat.

Reactions: Ssyko