1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pellets, Pellets everywhere...

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Bigjim13, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Sorry this thread was hi-jacked.

Thanks guys. Just trying to do my best.

I was afraid he would ruin it for the others. To much squacking and I will end it. I could spend my tiime doing many other things. I really don't need the hassle! Get enough at work already.

Back on track!

geek,

They have any Marth there?

jay

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    yeah, they do, I actually spoke to someone on the phone and he said he had a pallet left of the greene team and definitely more of the Marth.

He said the promo is not on the sign but he rang the code on the register and it came up with $222 per ton.

..Did you like the Marth that much...?

3. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I was just going to do a follow up. If I found some that seemed fair. I was just going to validate what I tested. May or may not bother.
  4. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    Just saw all of today's comments about testing. Ditto Gumby, well said. Had to get that off my chest. Now as previously stated let's move on!
  5. minnow

minnow Member

Loc:
    Upstate New York

Don't let one malcontent ruin your day. There are many of us that appreciate what your doing. Thanks !!
  6. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    Hey, let me clarify something. I have no problems with what Jay did with his experiment. Don't even have a problems with the findings, except for something that seems to fall far out of my experience. I do have a problem with BTU justifying his vitriol against his competition using what Jay said as absolute truth. I asked for an explanation. Finally got part this morning, but I was not willing to let BTU use Jay.

I will stay out of this discussion now, I am not convincing the Choir. By the way, most of the problem was not about the test, but the characterization of one of the oldest pellet makers trying to deceive the customer.

For the second time, so there is no misunderstanding. I have no dog in this fight. I am a simple woodworker, not a pellet expert, not a product producer or employee of any business related to the pellet manufacturing or Hearth industry. I have been a user for close to twenty years and don't like to see anyone misrepresenting.
  7. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Loc:
    Mass.
    Hi guys new to the site, but have been reading for along time. Jay alot of your findings are based on your stove( year, model), and where you live. Valley ,mountain ,and most of all how you set your stove to each Brand, Plus time the brand was made. Just moving your damper, or feed can change your findings, The test you see from the Manufacture are done in perfect conditions, each stove will very. Bottom line it is still up to how you burn and how your own stove will burn that brand.
  8. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Go to my post and read the disclaimer! I never said my word was LAW!

One more crack and I'm done with this!
  9. geek

geek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central CT
    plus this thread is about pellet AVAILABILITY and NOT about how jay did the FREE test for ALL of us, spending his time on this for FREE.

So, let's get back to the subject, if you want to complain then go to your local police dept..... :)

10. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Loc:
    Mass.
    Not saying you are wrong, but alot of newbees are out there and believing all of you test, most of your findings are close BUT like you said it is not law.
  11. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Dude go buy some Inferno's PFI stamped Premium Pellet. YOU WILL LOVE THEM!

BYE guys I am done!
  12. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    geek, Thanks for the support.

What they really need to do is go to my thread and complain there. Stop hi jacking this thread!

I need a BEER! Maybe I will test beer next! Save the pellet results for me.
  13. Sinbad

Sinbad New Member

Loc:
    Mass.
    I have burned them not bad in one stove but not the worst out there.
  14. littlesmokey

littlesmokey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mighty vistas of the Wasatch Mountains Below the s
    I think the last response you got says it all. He ain't goin'a listen. What kind of stove are you burning and what pellets do you like? Did you get caught up in the buy now 'cause they're just going up craze earlier this year? If you have a product you like and you are satisfied with it's performance stick with it. From year to year you will get a pretty good consistency. I really doubt many here can tell the difference in output and transferred Btu's from one to another. May be able to see more ash and smokier glass, or clinkers in the burn pot, but that's caused by operator error most often. Lazy flame syndrome, I call it.

Burn what you got, burn it bright and tell us how you like it. Other's opinions don't matter in the burn pot, should only act as a guide when accurately provided.
  15. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I suppose you measure the temp your stove is putting out with the back of you hand?

What ever works for you. I like to be a little more accurate but fine. What ever floats your boat.

How about those ACP pellets they are pretty good too? I can get them really cheap. $239 a ton.
  16. countk

countk Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Cape Ann, MA
    Jay,

Don't let a few people get to you that don't know what the word "Disclaimer" means, or haven't bothered to go to your thread. The majority of us here, probably 98% of us are enjoying your tests.

Now go have a beer and abandon this thread.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  17. Bigjim13

Bigjim13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Vermont
    Wow, didn't see this coming when I posted about price and availability. LOL!

As for the testing, personally whenever I buy something I rely more on reviews from people like ourselves (just trying to find a better/cheaper way than oil to heat with) moreso than on mfg reviews or blurbs. So test away, I like the info. Some of the brands you have tested aren't available here in Central VT and some are.

Frankly before finding this site, to me a pellet was just a pellet. Didn't really know there was much differnece as long as the bag said premium and PFI so Thanks All for opening a newbie's eyes!
  18. pelletizer

pelletizer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pellet County N.H.
    Good Morning and happy Thanksgiving to all you pellet turkeys (including me)

On the subject of pricing I see no one in this thread mentioned PelletSales.com (not that I saw)
    I just checked the site and they do not offer anything great in pricing.
    At lowes one can use the 10% off moving coupon they offer,
    Lowes was offering $25.00 off 1 ton $50.00 off a two ton purchase etc etc.
    Or for an even better discount ask for a manager and see if you can get a managers discount. (we did this and it worked)
    and also got the $60.00 delivery charged reduced to $30.00
  19. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Wow, Didn't know about the managers discount. Sounds like a deal.

What brand did you get? Edit: never mined. Curran pellets. I will be trying them soon.

I thought I read in another post the woodpellets.com(pelletsales) had a discount on the LG's?
  20. defield

defield New Member

Loc:
    South Central Maine
    Jtakeman,

I have been watching this thread with interest and appreciate the real world testing that you have been doing, as I suspect is the case with the vast majority of thread members.

In my opinion, you were very clear about your methods and goals at the outset and had no agendas other than a desire to collect and share information that would be helpful.

Please try to ignore the arm chair engineers and Consumer Reports lab tester wannabes who sit at their keyboards and disparage your hard work.

Thanks and take care,

Ranger
  21. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Something funny here! :wow: Am I the only one who noticed. Just joined to take a peck at me. HMMM. Kind a strange!

But hey welcome aboard. Glad you joined us. Please share what stove you have and post up a photo or 2. Love to see your install photo's. We like stove pictures! But start a new thread when you do.

jay
  22. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Will do ranger.

Have a great Thanksgiving!

jay
  23. schoondog

schoondog Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    dutchess county, n.y.
    Jay, don't let em get ya down. Your doing us all a favor and I appreciate it.
    I can still get maine choice and instant heat for $249 ton at TSC and may be able to use the 10% coupon they sent my aunt. The true value up the road from work is still pretty confident that there 15 ton of lignetics are gonna move at $299/ton. I don't see them disappearing to fast. I think I can talk em dowmn to $280 /ton and I may get 1 ton if I can. Waiting to see if someone gets a ton of the Marth or a ton of Rockys.
    Again jay THANKS for your hard work. I read your results every day. And everyone enjoy and give thanks as you feast today.

Schoondog
  24. jtakeman

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    Schoondog,

will do and thanks.

I have found my local True Value has the Lignetics hardwoods. There $249 at ton. Worth all of that. Got any Ace hardwares nearby? Romur has it the may have Both Rockies and Lignetics. Some times TSC has the Lignetics too! How about the BJ's stores? Some are carrying BTU's brand.

I still can't believe all the options out there. Seems everyone has pellets and loads of them too! My local Lowes is puney and they have over 50 tons on had.

Have a great holiday!
    jay
  25. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    TEARS? I just spit coffee all over my monitor and keyboard. Looked like a freakin volcano erupted :)

OMG I can't believe that. PT Barnum was right......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.