peninsula fireplace wood or propane

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobthebullet

Oct 9, 2007
Hi, new to the site and trying to determine if I should install a peninsula fireplace (new construction). Live at 6700 ft. in Colorado and have been using a wood kiva fireplace in former home. Now would like to install 3 sided peninsula between living and dining in new home but concerned about heat output, the mess with wood (we use the fireplace a lot and ashes would be more visible than corner fireplace), and how often the glass needs cleaning with wood vs propane gas. In other words what is probably the best option? Thanks.

bobthebullet said:
Hi, new to the site and trying to determine if I should install a peninsula fireplace (new construction). Live at 6700 ft. in Colorado and have been using a wood kiva fireplace in former home. Now would like to install 3 sided peninsula between living and dining in new home but concerned about heat output, the mess with wood (we use the fireplace a lot and ashes would be more visible than corner fireplace), and how often the glass needs cleaning with wood vs propane gas. In other words what is probably the best option? Thanks.

"The best option"? That is going to depend on you own needs and wants in priority order. Look inside yourself.

You mention heat output as a concern. I do not think woodburning peninsula fireplaces are available in "high efficiency" units, but "low efficiency" only without sealed glass doors. So, if heat output is number 1 on your priority list, forget the peninsula idea, or forget wood. I am not sure what options in peninsula style are availble for propane, or if propane peninsula is available how good that is for heat output. other can probably chime in on propane options and heat output.

BTB

Status
Not open for further replies.