Perfect wood cutting temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

North of 60

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2007
Yukon Canada
-6c/21f out and gonna give the 266sg heated grips and my back a chance to work. Some large diameter Poplar was droped off for me so I will give it a whirl. Coffee, clear skies and my breath in the air. Love this time of year. I only work 4 days a week now. Kids in school, Moma at work, Mondays are all Mine. :snake: :lol: Will post a few pics once started.

I'm not ready for those temps... brrrrr

I do prefer cold weather for wood work.

Highs in the low 90s here today. Mid to upper 70s the rest of the week. Can't wait to get out there myself!

It is that time of the year when us guys who wear glasses have to remove them when entering a building. Also that time of year that the sap seems to run out the nose... Hate that.

btw, Cat Crap is about the best thing I've found for keeping the glasses from fogging. Good for about 4-5 hours before it needs more. Just a pain to have to be putting it on constantly.

Same here, enjoy the fall weather to work outdoors above all other times. Cool, dry crisp air. I will go out and work in the middle of winter just to get some exercise and avoid cabin fever.

North, we must like the same in a lot of ways. I really line 20-35 degrees for cutting wood although down to about 10 degrees is not bad but hard on the fingers and toes.

Perfect temps for me is anything between 30 & 80 degrees with a light breeze,no rain & lo humidity.Everything lower or higher sucks.

I'll take 21 and clear skies over this 40s and rain nonsense any day. Frozen uncovered ground is always a nice bonus.

A tank of fuel and all done. Old heated hand grips worked great. Not bad in 45 min for a cripple. Its 200yr old poplar hardwood to me. Ill save it for the shoulder seasons. :p A few pics of the fresh snow in the mountains from my field. Enjoy your 1st chill when it comes.
Cheers

Attachments

• perfect temp 1.jpg
    perfect temp 1.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 276
  • perfect temp 2.jpg
    perfect temp 2.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 272
Last one. Heading into town now to put a down payment on a 2012 Ski-doo Tundra LT with the 600 4 stroke ACE. This is a 2010 550 fan but looks close to it.
Cheers

Attachments

• perfect temp 5.jpg
    perfect temp 5.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 268
  • tundra.jpg
    tundra.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 252
That's a good looking sled. I'm sure this goes without saying, but enjoy it! Is it an EFI model? EFI would be great with the cold temps....

That bark certainly looks different than the Tulip Poplar that's prevalent here...

north of 60 said:
A tank of fuel and all done. Old heated hand grips worked great. Not bad in 45 min for a cripple. Its 200yr old poplar hardwood to me. Ill save it for the shoulder seasons. :p A few pics of the fresh snow in the mountains from my field. Enjoy your 1st chill when it comes.
Cheers

Ha! You are not a cripple yet. You have plenty of good years in you. Nice sled and thanks for the pictures.

I rarely get to choose the time and weather that I cut in. Being a scrounger who works the equivalent of two jobs 9 months of the year, I have cut when the I have to, not when i want to. I processed lots of wood this summer in 90°F +. I have also worked at around 0°F. Given a choice, I'd work on a sunny 25°F day with no snow on the frozen ground.

My dad and I cut a load this morning and felt lucky to have clear skies and 50 degrees. Just right for us.

P9160005.jpg

P9170009.jpg

JamiePNW78 said:
My dad and I cut a load this morning and felt lucky to have clear skies and 50 degrees. Just right for us.

P9160005.jpg

P9170009.jpg

Jamie, is that all scrounged wood from a abandoned clearcut?

It's from a clearcut in a DNR permit area. The permit areas can be really hit or miss. Some of them don't have much worth cutting, others, like this one, can have a good amount of wood close to the roads. We got this load of 1/3 fir 2/3 hemlock without moving the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.