Perhaps some of you will understand...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jotul8e2

Minister of Fire
Feb 2, 2008
Ozarks
It is 17 deg. f. out and falling to an expected -5 deg. overnight. Meanwhile, I am sitting quite comfortably in the farthest corner of the most distant room away from our Jotul stove.

This is not to brag. It is to share my wonder and amazement that such a simple piece of equipment can so easily provide a level of comfort unavailable to even kings and princes just 100 years or so ago. I have been burning wood for nearly 50 years and using stoves anytime these last 35 years; yet I still marvel every time a fresh load of wood flashes into those incredible secondaries. I am in awe as I watch a simple iron box in the middle of my house burn at over 1000 deg. (internal, of course) with no smoke, no sparks, no danger.

Odd, isn't it? I take the car, the tv, even the computer on which I type this more or less for granted. But even after all these years I join my ancient ancestors in gratitude and appreciation for warmth in the dead of winter.

Sorry to be a bore, but I had to share this with someone.

It is a marvel and a joy both to feel and see.

Brrr -5 in the Ozarks. That is dang chilly. Watch out for your water pipes. Cycle the furnace or boiler or keep a small heater running in the basement.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
Sounds great! I fondly await the day when I can light my first fire. I can relate, but just can't share the experience quite yet. :)

I raise a toast to another old wood burner that thinks these newer stoves are a huge improvement.

Stay warm my friend.

My nighttime routine lately involves laying down on the living room floor for about a half hour each night as I get my final load settled in for the night and just enjoy watching the secondaries fire off. Very relaxing and tranquil for getting ready to sleep.

Grew up burning 5+ cords every winter as a kid. Always hated chopping, moving, stacking and helping dad keep the stove going. Of course I took for granted having the house at 70 or more degrees all winter. Fast forward many years, this summer wife and I bought a new to us house with a wood stove in the finished basement. I didn't think I'd use it much, but after having a few fires with the firewood that came with the house I was hooked! I've already burned a cord this fall, and just picked up 2 more last weekend. This summer I have big plans to revamp the stove room for a bigger free stander, not to mention the wife thinks I'm a little obsessed checking out craigslist all the time for free wood! Having a $40 gas bill last month was just icing on the cake :)

My new Osburn is just fantastic with the heat output, light show from the secondaries, extended burn times, etc....So different from the old smoke dragons...:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.