Perlite Loose Fill Masonry Insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Anyone know a supplier for this insulation? I'm thinking of using it for insulating my liner. Thanks

I found 2 suppliers on line but they want more for shipping than the insulation. Also tried Menards and local insulation people with no luck. Guess I can try stove shops tomorrow.

Todd said:
I found 2 suppliers on line but they want more for shipping than the insulation. Also tried Menards and local insulation people with no luck. Guess I can try stove shops tomorrow.

Check with garden supply stores. People mix it with potting soil.

BrotherBart said:
Todd said:

Check with garden supply stores. People mix it with potting soil.

Yeah I checked into that but I think the potting soil mix perlite is different, and is made to soak up water?

A few years ago, I bought some at a builders supply store, not a big-box home improvement type but a "real" lumberyard/building supply. And, no, the garden variety is different. I read, back then, that the two should not be substituted for one another but don't recall why.

I don't know if you could get it at a concrete place. Our local place sells vermiculite course or fine 12.00 a 4 cu ft bag, which is much less than online due to shipping costs. I have been reading that 1 part of portland cement with 6 parts vermiculite makes a good solid insulation. I want to mix some up and see how it is before using it. One thing that worries me about vermiculite is its ability to absorb water, which is one good reason to use perilite like your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.