Insulation for wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Reismann1

Dec 9, 2023
Rhode Island
I think this should be OK at 2000° just wanted to reach out and make sure that this insulation is sufficient for insulating around my liner and damper as well as around the top of the chimney between the clay liner, and the stainless liner

IMG_6324.jpeg

Yes, it's mineral wool. Not fun stuff to work with. Wear a mask.

I think this should be OK at 2000° just wanted to reach out and make sure that this insulation is sufficient for insulating around my liner and damper as well as around the top of the chimney between the clay liner, and the stainless liner

View attachment 322205
Yes but it's not a replacement for full insulation on the liner

Yes but it's not a replacement for full insulation on the liner
30+ feet of liner installed. Insulated above the damper with that mineral wool and up top of the chimney around the liner. I’m confident there will be no draft. Just wanted to make sure this product was sufficient. Thanks for the reply.

30+ feet of liner installed. Insulated above the damper with that mineral wool and up top of the chimney around the liner. I’m confident there will be no draft. Just wanted to make sure this product was sufficient. Thanks for the reply.
Does your chimney have the required clearances to combustibles? Liner insulation is about safety not controlling drafts

It’s brick with clay liner with a stainless liner as well. Do I need more?
You need clearance from the outside of the brick structure to any combustible materials. For an internal chimney it's 2" external is 1". Unless you have that the liner needs insulation