Permanent VC Encore Gaskets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JV_Thimble

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2010
South-Central MI
I'm not quite seeing why I can't replace the gasket around the fireback in my 2550, but this is what the manual says:

Permanent Encore Gaskets
Other gaskets form seals between non-moving parts, but these are not subject to the same wear and deterioration as gaskets on moving parts. It is unlikely that you will ever need to replace these gaskets unless the involved parts are disassembled and then put back together. If this is the case, the job should be done only by a qualified service technician.
5/16†diameter gasket seals the following parts:
•The flue collar to the stove back
•The lower fireback to the sides

Pulled out the fireback to have a look at the catalyst (looks good) and to install one of those Condar probes, and found the gaskets like this. I'm thinking I should just buy the gasket material, remove the old, clean up the joints well, carefully replace the fireback (maybe that's the trick?) and fire the gaskets in. Am I missing something important here?

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• DSC02330.jpg
    DSC02330.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 203
JV_Thimble said:
I'm not quite seeing why I can't replace the gasket around the fireback in my 2550, but this is what the manual says:

Permanent Encore Gaskets
Other gaskets form seals between non-moving parts, but these are not subject to the same wear and deterioration as gaskets on moving parts. It is unlikely that you will ever need to replace these gaskets unless the involved parts are disassembled and then put back together. If this is the case, the job should be done only by a qualified service technician.
5/16†diameter gasket seals the following parts:
•The flue collar to the stove back
•The lower fireback to the sides

Pulled out the fireback to have a look at the catalyst (looks good) and to install one of those Condar probes, and found the gaskets like this. I'm thinking I should just buy the gasket material, remove the old, clean up the joints well, carefully replace the fireback (maybe that's the trick?) and fire the gaskets in. Am I missing something important here?

Thanks,

John

It's not saying you can't. It's saying it won't need to be replaced as often as a gasket that is subjected to wear and tear from moving parts. They are also covering their collective asses by saying it should be done by a 'qualified technician' to guard themselves against the unfortunate amount of stupidity that exists in everyday society.

You should be just fine replacing the gaskets on that part of the Encore. I did a gasket rebuild myself on a 0028 two months ago, and I am pretty far from a 'qualified technician.' :cheese:

In short; you are not missing anything and your plan to replace the gaskets is the correct way to go. Re-installing the fireback is not tricky at all.

Thanks, BrowningBAR.

For the moment, I've replaced the fireback with the gaskets seated where they need to be (relatives visiting in a few hours, so not the best time to mess with it). Just need to order the parts and replace the gaskets soon.

Cheers,

John

JV_Thimble said:
Thanks, BrowningBAR.

For the moment, I've replaced the fireback with the gaskets seated where they need to be (relatives visiting in a few hours, so not the best time to mess with it). Just need to order the parts and replace the gaskets soon.

Cheers,

John

How long have you had the 2550? Any issues with it? Is this the model that existed right before they moved to the 2-in-1 stoves? I'm thinking about adding at least one more cat VC stove but I am still researching a few things to make sure I'm doing the right thing. The 0028 has performed quite well at this point, but I just installed it a little over a month ago.

Yes, this is the one just before the 2n1. I've had it a bit less than a year. It's worked well other than a warranty repair on the cat:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/77851/

Which is the reason I bought the Condar and decided to have a look at the replacement cat after some burns. Glad to see it all looked good now.

JV_Thimble said:
Yes, this is the one just before the 2n1. I've had it a bit less than a year. It's worked well other than a warranty repair on the cat:

Which is the reason I bought the Condar and decided to have a look at the replacement cat after some burns. Glad to see it all looked good now.

I've heard that you can change out the fireback/cat assembly with the new 2-in-1 fireback assembly that the 2-in1 stoves used. I have not done a direct comparison to see if this actually was the case or not, but you might want to read up on it as you might be able to save yourself a good amount in ongoing maintenance costs.

BrowningBAR said:
JV_Thimble said:

I've heard that you can change out the fireback/cat assembly with the new 2-in-1 fireback assembly that the 2-in1 stoves used. I have not done a direct comparison to see if this actually was the case or not, but you might want to read up on it as you might be able to save yourself a good amount in ongoing maintenance costs.

Read up on it where? Timely post as i just got my new 2550. Can the Condar temp be installed without disassembly of the unit?

Jackfre said:
BrowningBAR said:
JV_Thimble said:

Read up on it where? Timely post as i just got my new 2550. Can the Condar temp be installed without disassembly of the unit?

yes if you have access to the back of the stove.

Jackfre said:
BrowningBAR said:
JV_Thimble said:

I'd start with the new 2-in-1 manual and parts information. Then I would find a dealer and take some measurements to see if the 2-in-1 parts are a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.