Pest Invasion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Hers a new one I haven't heard about yet- my insert is full of flies, WTH! I just set out 20 rat traps around my stacks, and now this. I keep hearing all the buzzing of a fly, so I track the sound down to the insert area and then I see them. Several flies crawling on the inside of the glass. They must have come down the flue, but why. I wonder what attracts them, creosote? I have a new flue, just last seasons worth of use, I haven't swept it yet.

Attachments

• Flies.jpg
    Flies.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 98
Well, my wife keeps an old Z3 outdoors, and she was going to sell it because there were some mice in the trunk. I went and got her mothballs and put 3-4 packages in the trunk. It makes such a noxious environment that nothing can live in there. The hardest part is remembering to put fresh ones in every few weeks.

As a kid, I had read about putting mothballs in the feet of nylon hose and nailing that anywhere wasps were nesting above doorways and such. Never tried that, but the trunk thing seems to work.

They may be attracted to the smell like yellow jackets are. With our old stove we had creosote and every year the yellow jackets would invade. Nasty...

I get them and dead yellow jackets every year laying in the insert. They burn up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.