Pex Al Pex vs. regular O2 pex

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

headrc

Mar 28, 2008
MidEast Tennessee
With another post I recently placed ..I received feedback that for a radiant floor install that it is recommended to use pex al pex instead of regular O2 pex for under floor pipe and plate radiant installs. The indication was that it doesn't create the noise problems that regular O2 may exhibit in this type of install. Is this also true for all other applications such as baseboard emitters, radiant panel etc. ....so what is teh feeling on O2 Pex in general?? What are the negatives of using it? Any opinions would be appreciated. RH

Another nice feature of pexalpex is that it holds its shape making it easier to bend around things because you dont need as many clips to hold it in place

It will depend on the brand of PEX you are considering. Many brands use an EVOH barrier on the outside for O2. It the tube is hard coated and shiney, that is the EVOH. Lately pex manufacturers have been adding an additional layer over the EVOH to protect it and help with the squeak issues that EVOH barrier may lead to.

Pick up a coil of EVOH tube and shake it, you'll know the squeak sound I refer to.

Another great tube is the Viega FostaPex. It is a full diameter pex with and aluminum outer wrap, then a PE coating over that. A very stable and nice working tube. Other PAP tubes have aluminum inner layer and we have seen some de-lam issues with several brands. the Viega pex eliminates that potential.

Works nicely with UltraFin also.

hr

Is there also a difference in quality of Pex Al Pex between mfgrs? For instance ...there is a source on Ebay selling Echo Pex Al Pex for a little over .30 a foot. Any other recommedations are appreciated. RH

headrc said:
Is there also a difference in quality of Pex Al Pex between mfgrs? For instance ...there is a source on Ebay selling Echo Pex Al Pex for a little over .30 a foot. Any other recommedations are appreciated. RH

I'm not convinced all pex or PAP is created equal? I wonder what the quality check is for some of the imported stuff. Theoretically if it has all of the listings, it should be equal.

I prefer to stick with the larger well know names as I know they will stand behind any problems. When you see a product for 1/2 or 1/3 of the name brand cost, somewhere costs were cut. Perhaps they do not use first quality resins to extrude. Or the aluminum is thinner or lower grade recycled material, hard to know.

Being a radiant contractor with many miles of pex in concrete slabs, it's not something I would want to try to replace.

I've been down that road with the early rubber tube products. A lifetime warranty from a bankrupt, or out of business company has very little value.

I know, trust and have used Viega, Uponor, Watts Radiant (their pex product), Mr Pex and Rehau.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.