1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pex Expansion Concern

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by McKraut, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

The rule of thumb I've been told is expansion/contraction of one inch every 100 feet of pipe for each 10° of temperature change.

60*-190* would be 130* change, or about 13" in 100 ft..

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. McKraut

McKraut Member

Loc:
    South Central PA
    Nate,

That's about what I calculated, but from most of the postings it seems that the expansion is not that significant. When I put my system together, I will put in soft bends to allow for some expansion.
  3. Tennman

Tennman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Tenn
    Late summer of 09. You're looking at all rough cut poplar exterior. Boy was it beautiful when new. But the present patina is growing on me. Only heat in the barn is from the boiler. Being southern Tennessee/northern Alabama our worst weather is probably like your normal. By the time winter hits the boilers going about all the time. I love the boiler away from the house. I typically travel little from T-day thru Feb so it's always tended. I'll try to email the ss tomorrow. Slammed at work.