Pex Length

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse-M

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2008
Columbia City, IN
I,m building a gasifier and want to place it about 200 ft. from the house. What size pump would you suggest?

In order to get a meaningful answer to your question, you'll have to explain how much heat you want to transfer, how much of a temperature differential you are planning (supply vs. return, and how much flow restriction you'll have in addition to the pipe itself.

Of these, heat transfer is the most important and hardest to guess.

I don't know how much heat transfer I want, I don't know how much temperature differential I need, and my flow restriction for now will only be a 16x20 water to air exchanger. I would like to put another exchanger in my shop, but planed another pump for that system.

You really need to know about how many btu's your house is going to need to determine how much flow you need, then a pump can be sized.

I modeled my boiler after the seton w-130, which produces 130,000 BTU/HR. I'm not sure what size pump they put on that model, and I don't know if 200' is beyond it's capability. I've seen some layouts with another pump after the heat exchanger pushing back toward the pump on the boiler. I have see TACO pumps with 1/8 hp, and 1/25 hp in Grangers catalog, but don't know the best route to take. Also I guess I forgot to mention that a pressure vessel is also part of my flow restriction.

Good luck in your upcoming heating adventures. A 16x20 heat exchanger and 130K BTU boiler sounds like a creosote factory to me. Before you purchase any equipment it would be a good idea to read everything you can in the "boiler room". What part of IN you from? It's not really a good idea to just put on a big pump to conquer a poor design. I assume you're a pretty competent fabricator to take on such a project.

The fabrication is cake, the design I think is good. I have a 30x48 shop that I also am planning on heating. But your right, I should have read through a few more threads before subjecting myself to critism.

Status
Not open for further replies.