Pex Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pologuy9906

Aug 19, 2013
Connecticut
Just wanted to see what are the thoughts of using pex vs copper. What brand are people finding work best? I like Uponor but know other crimping applications work as well.

Depends on the install, application, and access.

I replaced electric baseboard in a finished two story house with hydronic heat. Radiators on the second floor in the bedrooms and bathrooms, radiant floor under the first floor, above the basement ceiling, a couple radiators in the basement. Close to a half mile of half inch pex. I used copper for the primary loop and initial secondary loops to the manifolds, and pex after that.

I used Uponor pex and Watts copper crimp rings and tool.

I have plenty of workable space. I'm planning on pex for a gasser install. Just wanted all the input before committing to one application. Do you find the heat tolerances adequate for the heat running through the lines?

In the house I sized the emitters to use moderate temperature water, 140 degree maximum. I have an indoor wood boiler in an insulated shed that will be hooked up this fall, with thermopex underground between the boiler and the house. Target water temperature will be 170-180F. The first few feet off the back of the boiler will likely be black steel pipe, for rigidity and support, and then transition to the thermopex.

I've had some moderate to high pucker level events with my EKO in the past five+ years. All user caused, of course. I would not recommend anyone use PEX for near boiler piping. I've got Pex-AL-Pex between my manifold and my heat exchanger but that's it.

At a minimum my personal preference is black iron/copper for all near boiler piping AND all of the piping between your boiler and the emergency dump zone. Just my two cents though.

Reactions: BoilerMan
Honestly I believe PEX should only be used in the distribution side. As stee said, copper or black iron on the dump zone and at least 10' from any solid fueled boiler. I use copper almost exclusively for anything smaller than 1.5". PEX is for slabs, underground, and distribution in concealed spaces. Nothing is as nice as a well done copper job IMHO.

TS

I'll second or third the above. keep pex on the distribution side, not on the boiler. unpressurized OWB's are another animal than a gasser.

karl

Status
Not open for further replies.