1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

ph meter for soil

Post in 'The Green Room' started by mikeyny, Mar 25, 2012.

1. mikeyny

mikeyny Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    upstate ny
    We are looking for a ph meter for the new garden areas at the house. There are so many out there from 15 bux up to almost 100. Anyone have any experience with them? What one to buy? Thanks
    Mike

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. gtjp

gtjp New Member

Loc:
    north midwest
    I dont know, digitally.

But what if one had a "calibration" , bench marking for all:

1 cubic inch of KNOWN (say pH___ tested) soil in (needed volume?) 1-cup of known pH neutral water, tested,
    and then that poured-off 1oz-2oz resulting water-sample could be put through the $5.oo pool pH test kit,
    or the $9.oo home-depot well and water test kit... ?
    just- I use these kits with GeoThermal Systems and Pool re-Heat-hx testing and HW-hx , regularly.

BRING IN THE WOOD !!!
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  4. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Just thought I'd mention that many state agricultural extension offices will do soil analyses inexpensively. I recall that it included pH as well as many other nutrients. They'll even tell you want you need to add to your soil as far as amendments.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Good suggestion. I got a very comprehensive analysis from UMass at Amherst.
  6. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    I was looking into the same subject then I stopped by my local garden store, where they sell mulch by the yard.... not a "big box", and they said bring in a sample and I'll test it for you. I was considering buying some pelitized lime. I took in a small scoop out of my lawn area in a sandwich baggie (zip top) and they tested it. This took a couple of minutes of their time and I'm sure their meter was more accurate than any I would buy. The number came back 6.4, so my lawn was fine, but a light application of lime may help (my driving concern was moss in the grass). I didn't buy any lime at the time but likely will in a couple of days.

There was no pressure to buy anything.
  7. Normande

Normande New Member

Loc:
    SW New Hampshire
    Jerry, Moss in the grass is a sign of poor sub surface drainage, a little Gypsum and compost will do more good than lime, but lime will help loosen the soil surface and promote drainage some.
    And yes I have a degree in Agronomy and horticulture