Phew - opened windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Jeez its 50 degreez here in NJ and seems I threw on a few too many logs, now I got the windows open. Just had to smile at the irony of that.

Merry X-mas to anyone still here.

DeanB

51 in MD 78 in the house windows will be open.

I did the same thing last weekend- a fire just for show, for my parents, who hadn't seen it, and next thing you know the house was 81.. I hope we get some serious cold sometime soon..

njtomatoguy said:
I did the same thing last weekend- a fire just for show, for my parents, who hadn't seen it, and next thing you know the house was 81.. I hope we get some serious cold sometime soon..

Problem with the folks in - can't strip down too much!

I'm sweating! It is 63 degrees outside at this time. Right now it is 89 degrees in the great room and 80 degrees in the back bedroom. A couple hours ago I decided to fill up the stove, for two reasons. One, I want to keep the fire/coals going so I don't have to use another match this winter. I last used a match about three weeks ago, when I dedided to empty the ashes and clean the door glass. My goal is to not use another match this season, just keep firing up from what I have. The second reason was to clean the door glass by burning the stove real hot.

About three/four weeks ago, I spoke with Chris at Blaze King. Back then one of my fans began making a loud racket and I called him to ask if I needed to lubricate them. He listened to the noise (by telephone) and knew exactly what it was. A piece of paper type insulation had come loose around the motor and fallen down onto the fan blade. All I needed to do was remove the cover and re-locate the paper insulation. Took care of the problem.

Anyway, I told him about my problem with the real dirty/black door glass and how long it takes me to clean it. He told me I needed to burn the stove on very high for at least one hour a week and that would clean the glass. I did that a couple weeks ago and it worked. This evening I decided to do it again and I cranked it up all the way. I let it burn at the highest setting for an hour and I could almost watch the black stuff burn away. For the most part, the entire center of the glass is almost crystal clear. There are still areas around the bottom corners that are still somewhat black. I think if I had let it stay at that setting another half hour or so, it might have cleaned those areas up. The stove top got to a little over 850 degrees (Rutland thermometer). The Cat thermometer (Condar) pegged all the way to the end of the thermometer ("Active Zone").

Like I said in a previous thread, My learning curve is flattening out. I get 30+ hours burn time with the thermostat set at middle of Normal setting (Number 2); and now I can get clean glass without taking an hour or more of scrubbing/scraping/using a razor blade.

It's been in the upper 30's around here, so I just have an evening fire and it's enough to keep the house above 70 til the next evening. The stove is usually still warm, and a some times I still had enough coals after 20 hours to just throw some small splits on to get her going again.

Temp is 46 outside and raining. The living room is 85. I love to open the front door for fresh air. All my wood is free so what the heck!

Merry Christmas to all

I know the feeling - let my attention wander from watching the outside temp just a few nights ago and threw on one too many logs. Topped out at 92F in the stove room! At least I only "wasted" one log!

Corey

Strange weather around here indeed...I got home from work yesterday and temps were around 44* with a steady rain. Cool I thought...I'll crank up the stove. By 10:00 pm the outside temp had increased to about 53*!!
Yep...had two windows downstairs wide open to cool this place off.
Maybe I should have flicked on my furnace fan. I hear that cools down the house!

Sun just came out. Its 72. Going xmas shopping in my shorts.

Temp this morning was 50 outside, 77 inside. My wife loaded up bit too much slab wood before coming to bed and it got way too hot. Letting the stove go out for the rest of the day, but it's supposed to get down to 35 tonight, and that's more like it.

glassmanjpf said:
Temp is 46 outside and raining. The living room is 85. I love to open the front door for fresh air. All my wood is free so what the heck!

Merry Christmas to all

Have to chuckle here. What you're experiencing is our normal winter. If it keeps up, you'll have daffodils in Feb. Not all that bad a thing in my book. I love our early and long springtimes.

couldn't burn last night but it was 34 this morning so at 6 am I sparked it up. It's in the 40's now so I'll fire that puppy back up in just a bit. Wife is cooking, second big night of food in a row so with the kitchen rolling I don't want to push everbody out.

Status
Not open for further replies.