Photo eye to snap switch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stmar

Sep 12, 2014
Wyo
I did the conversion today and it seems to have worked. Got a ceramic 140 degree snap switch. Very simple, actually had a spare wire from the original photo eye, they replaced it and moved it shortly after we got the stove. I also had some high temp wire from an old igniter and it had the correct spade connectors as a bonus. All I had to do was mount the switch, knockout was already there, terminate wire to switch with ring terminals, plug wires into existing wire and plug that wire into connector/wire coming from control board.
Just wanted to say thanks for the info and help. Just in time, a cold front is on the way, single digits forecast in the next few days. May have a White Christmas, Merry Christmas to all.

Congratulations on the successful conversion job.
And a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year to you, too.

PS, from the now "unemployed" photoeye housing there's perfect view into the burn pot.
Would it be possible to install one of these wifi-videocameras instead of the photoeye?
They are getting smaller, more advanced and cheaper all the time.

***Live videostreaming from the burn pot directly to your smart phone or smart tv***

That would be so cool :cool:

Wifi camera options from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.in/MACHSMART-Por...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=XQSATWJDCJ7BZHEQ96AR

https://www.amazon.in/Motion-activated-hidden-camera-Android/dp/B01I68UERG

Last edited:
I have been running the stove quite a bit since the conversion on December 20th, off and on multiple times and running for long periods of time because it has been single digits and subzero. No issues and then this morning it went into default for the first time, reset and it ran with no issues. The stove had come on during the night and ran to temp then shut down normally, before it had cooled down much I clicked the T-stat up and after the start up it went into default, there was still flame. Could that have been the issue, not letting it cool down enough before restarting? Hope it was just an anomaly, like I said it is functioning correctly now.