Photocells

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike88

Nov 13, 2014
Hamilton, Ohio
I have replaced my photocell and the stove quits.
I have taken a mirror and see the photocell.
On the right hand side there only a opening to see the photocell there is only an opening about 1/16" and about 1 3/4 " wide that sees the photocell. Should the opening be wider?
MIke88

What stove? Must be a Whit?! :) Easier and more reliable to get and install a proof of fire snap switch in the exhaust. Also check the tubing and nipple off the exhaust for any restrictions to the pressure switch. Yes a pressure switch unlike most stoves that have a vacuum switch.

I have replaced my photocell and the stove quits.
I have taken a mirror and see the photocell.
On the right hand side there only a opening to see the photocell there is only an opening about 1/16" and about 1 3/4 " wide that sees the photocell. Should the opening be wider?
MIke88
Yes it is an Whitfield profile 30.
It works good! But I am wonder if the photocell clearance is wider. The Whitfield says to take a Q-tips to clean it out but you can not get a Q-tips up there!
Mike

I don't know. I got a Profile last summer for camp and after a good cleaning and stove not working after start up cycle went and got a ceramic snap disc and extended the eyes wires to the snap disc and no more problems. Other older Whits have the snap disc and there is even the original hole with plate on the Profile to put the disc in. Less than a $15 and whole lot less problems dealing with then trying to keep that eye clean. I think the Q tips is for cleaning the eye when you remove it from the hopper.

If you access the eye from the hopper you should get to the glass window and that is probably what is really your problem.

Check your photo eye connection molex at the control box. Where the yellow wires meet at the control box there is a little plastic clip...over time the connections spade apart . Stick a paper clip into the female side and bend the circles in a tiny bit and reconnect. More often than not that is the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.