Quadra Fire stuck feed relay

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nofossil

Moderator Emeritus
I have a Quadra Fire Castile that started feeding pellets continuously. Based on relevant threads and documentation, it appears that the likely cause is a control failure - specifically, the feed relay is 'stuck' on. See the chart below. The thermostat demand turned off at the 67 degree setpoint, but the temperature continued to rise until we noticed the problem and manually shut it down. Also notice that throughout the second fire, the room temperature rose *much* more rapidly than during the first fire. I suspect it was feeding continuously and overfiring for the entire second fire.

Two questions:
  1. The feed relay is a cheap Potter Brumfield SPDT relay - probably $10 or so, and I'm set up to replace it easily if it's the relay and not the controller that's having the problem. Has anyone replaced that relay and solved this problem?
  2. It got very hot, so I'm assuming that snap 2 didn't open as it should have to prevent overheating. It's supposed to open at 250, and I suspect it was a lot hotter than that. Any simple ideas to test the snap switch, or just replace it?
1704831283318.png