Picked up a nice Honey Bear today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bushman

Burning Hunk
Dec 28, 2014
Northern Michigan
I picked up a nice Fisher Honey Bear today. Looks like it was not used much and it has a baffle plate instead of the the little inside flue cap style or whatever they called that one that hung under the pipe connector. One of the glass panels is broke. I was always under impression Fishers did not use gasket on doors but, this does and there is none on vertical area where doors overlap.

I am going to clean this up and fiddle with it as a garage stove since its too small for heating my house. UL will make my insurance happy.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 341
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 366
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 350
Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
I've only seen a Smoke Shelf Baffle on Honey Bears with removable pedestal listed for mobile home use.

All glass doors use gasket. Honey Bear normally has 1 inch iron C channel door seal welded to stove front. It would get gasket material cemented in center of door seal channel iron pictured below. Yours is built like the Model IV (full size Fireplace Series) with larger glass that has no channel iron on stove front and gasket cements to doors. That's another detail I've only seen on mobile home listed stoves. Is the fabricator on the tag Enduron Corp? I've seen some of theirs made like that. Not sure if others did.
No gasket material is used on horizontal door seam in center.

Honey Bear Tags.JPG Older Honey Bear gasket in channel with solid welded pedestal.

Enduron Corp. is what the tag says. Planning to try this little bear out but, it kind of moist out and not good painting weather. Just planning for now.

Are all Honey Bears on pedestals? I'm looking for a Fisher Stove with glass doors to fit in my fire place. I'm so done with my old stove and would like a Fisher that has a glass front.
dlm ny country

No. The convertible Honey Bear has removable legs or pedestal for outside air inlet under mobile home.
Grandma, Grandpa and All Inserts were available with glass. You want an Insert for fireplace use. (and connected directly to liner the same size as stove outlet)
There are full size Inserts with no bear name given and smaller Honey Bear, Cub, or Polar Bear (for prefab metal zero clearance fireplace) as well as the higher tech most efficient Tech IV.

11-2011 ebay $1018-2.jpg Model III with smaller glass opening.

Honey Bear insert Ohio 1.jpg Model IV glass style.

Thanks Coaly. My house was built in 1849 and a new fireplace built around 1930's. Great looking fieldstone fireplace that would be covered by all the metal with the insert. I'd like to keep setup as is with damper block of plate with stove pipe running up chimney.

Attachments

• Kresno_FireplaceZZ_opt.jpg
    Kresno_FireplaceZZ_opt.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 229
Thanks Coaly. My house was built in 1849 and a new fireplace built around 1930's. Great looking fieldstone fireplace that would be covered by all the metal with the insert. I'd like to keep setup as is with damper block of plate with stove pipe running up chimney.

You don't need to use the face plate, or cut it down to the opening size so it doesn't overlap the fieldstone. It can even be cut to fit inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.