Pickin up pellets....2 tons inside my van

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joelswork

Nov 9, 2010
central TN
Thanks for the locations to pick up reasonable pellets on my way back from detroit this week. I have a 92 E350 extended van (huge formerly 15 passenger, now cargo) with the 7.3 diesel....I was a little hesitent to pick up 2 tons in it but have been reassured by my peeps at the diesel forum that it is within it's rated payload of 4400 pounds, doesn't look like I'm filling her up or eating much to stay within that but it should be worth it. If I could only get 3 tons in there.....

Attachments

• mini van pic 1.jpg
    mini van pic 1.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 1,012
Joelswork,

How far did you have to haul the pellets?

I didn't know that it got cold enough in TN to need to burn pellets. I thought that the heat generated from the races at Bristol kept the entire state warm for the whole winter. :)

Perhaps next time you could put two tons inside and strap a few bags on the roof of that "Built Ford Tough" van.

Regards,

Ranger

Wait until you see what it does to your fuel mileage.

I'm pleased with the van so far, auction vehicle that sat for 3 years in texas....bit of work done to it and rebuilt the tranny but so far I'm at about 20 mpg with a ton or so of tools and what not. 65mph is the sweet spot....I'll post what I get hauling the pellets. SIH did get back with me, might hit them up if I roll through in time on thursday, TSC has enough of my money.

As for Tennessee getting cold, yep had 4-6" of snow here northeast of Nashville last week and temps in the single digits. We moved from michigan 3 years ago and enjoy teasing our frozen friends cause it's usually 10 degrees warmer and with a lot less moisture . Classified as Michigan refugees down here!

I can get 25 bags at a time in my 2000 TDI Beetle!

4400 lb payload in a van? Pulling maybe but if you put a ton into the back of that thing I guarantee you will break a spring or will be asking for it.

vantrailer.jpg

That's a 4x4 quigley with a 6.2 duramax in it, solid dana axles front and rear and it's only rated for 1900 lbs payload. I have custom springs in the rear and that thing would be seriously hunkered in the back with one ton.. 2 tons would be on the frame in any van.

8 Leaves per side, 8 lug wheels....it is a true work van....most U-Haul box vans were do e on the same chassis. I've seen my buddies F-350 with the same set up haul 7k on his bed, the guys on the diesel forum are saying stuff in a third...I'm just going with two!

Salty,

Nice paint job on the van and love the chrome wheels!!

Regards,

Ranger

There's a huge difference between a f350 and a van. Chassis may be similar but are not the same.

Even with 8 lug bolts and 10 ply tires I seriously doubt you could do 4000 lbs. I'd love to see a picture of it with it though and then let us know how your springs look after

:)

The ford is rated very similar to the gmc, they're both one ton vans...2000lbs....my van is 9500 gvw...and it's close to 8000lb curb weight. That don't leave much room for wiggle.

TOR thanks that is a 2006 custom Quigley 4x4 1 ton. First one in NE and the third in the country with a solid axle. Was in Peterson's 4 wheel and off road back then. It's my second Quigley. Took me 5 years to pay for it. You don't want to know the price tag on that one. It'll be my last this time.

nice lookin ride there Salty! I'm thinkin of putting some duct tape art on my ole scubba steve van, different demographics I guess! I'm not gonna go stupid on it, I'll stop when she looks safe still. Just the seats alone were over 800 pounds, throw in 15 passengers and you would be over one ton there. I'll take pics and let you know where we stood!

ok be safe man. Stopping something like that loaded up is much harder as you know too. Body roll etc. Just hat to see someone get in a pickle

happy Christmas and Merry Kwanzaa :)

Whoa!!! Think you are pushing the limits. Trailering with some brake help, maybe. Unless that has the 10,000lb axle, I wouldn't trust it. The sitting for years and the fact it was a "gov." vehicle you may be asking for trouble. Seriously think about renting a one way trailer for some, maybe even half. Make sure the brakes are tops and adjust your sweet spot to about 50-55mph. That load will be a trip to stop. I've got over half-million miles in/on my one-ton van (box). I wouldn't think about putting that much in it, and heading down the road. Your handling will be real different. Better safe than sorry.

Yeah, just be careful taking that kind of load. I got a 3/4 ton durmax truck and just having a ton of pellets in the back is a lot. The most I had was almost a 1 1/2 ton of lime in the back once. I didn't drive too good at all. Lucky it was all back roads and I could take it slow. One tip is make sure your tires are aired up to the max. Usually I run my tires a little lower than rated to get a better ride in the back. Put that kind of weight on it and the rims will be touching the road. :)

Good luck and be safe.

I used to haul expeidited freight for ConWayNow...E350 with a 351 gas. I could put three pallets of Machine parts in the back...4200 lbs. ....gross right at 11k. Never had a problem... the van never bottomed out. I did have to run MIchelin 10 ply tires though...nothing else held up. Sold it with 385K on it...

In the past I have put 2 tons of Pellets in an F250 SuperDuty with the V10. The truck squatted onto the helpers but never bottomed out or even came close. That was a good truck. When my brother sold the F250 it had 150k on it and was rusted to pieces due to NYS Salt. Go ahead you will be fine.

Remember this is a van not a pick up. Unless you are equipped with heavy duty suspension, bottoming out is the least of your worries. I grossed at just under 14,000lbs on one trip from Colorado to California. Truckee to Sacramento in second with very white knuckles. Outside Alta it almost got away. Stopping is the worry, not going.

His van is rated around 9500 GVW IIRC.... should be fine.

You nay-sayers are realizing that even though this may look like a run of the mill "van" it is simply a mini-van body plopped on top of the frame, suspension and drive train for this:

new-ford-box-trucks-for-sale-1.jpg

Been thinking about a dual rear wheel set up, mostly cause I'm a redneck I guess. I've seen a few now I know that they are just pellet pigs getting some fuel.

joelswork said:
Been thinking about a dual rear wheel set up, mostly cause I'm a redneck I guess. I've seen a few now I know that they are just pellet pigs getting some fuel.

Well, Ya ! Dualies Rule! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.