Picking the right LP insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kckranz

Jan 2, 2018
Benson, NC
My wife and I are building a farmhouse and have framed in a non-masonry fireplace insert surround and chase. We want to go with a LP gas insert, but really love the vintage look of cast iron stove inserts. Is anyone aware of a LP gas insert that resembles the older cast iron stoves - the ones that protrude out from the fireplace into the room? Is it possible to convert an old cast-iron stove to gas logs?

We really love the pellet stove inserts over at Quadra Fire, but I'm not sure if we are pellet people.

http://www.quadrafire.com/Browse/Inserts/Pellet-Inserts.aspx

You don't want an INSERT. You don't have a masonry structure & THAT'S what is required for an INSERT.
You need to look at GAS FIRE PLACES. There are a number of them on the market, but not many protrude
into the room. There ARE some with cast iron looking fronts on them, but they are usually powder coated steel.