Pictures of your Vogelzang barrel kits installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPaint

Feeling the Heat
Jan 2, 2009
USA
Thinking about getting a Vogelzang 55 gallon drum stove kit. Got any pictures? Post them here!

Don't have pics. Replaced it with a Jotul F3 a while back. Still kinda miss the thing. On the thirty plus foot basement chimney that thing rocked. Literally.

For $64shipped from amazon.com I just don't see how I could go wrong!? Is it possible to find a 55 gallon drum that has smooth exterior instead of the ribbed surface? I think I could come up with a nice color scheme to make this a nice piece. You can even get dual barrel kits!

It says some kits do around 40K BTU's and others do 150K BTU's. Is that the single barrel versus double barrel?

The things are a pretty much out of control blast furnace. You put sand in the bottom to hold off burning through the bottom of the barrel. Not unusual for the sides of the barrel to be glowing red hot.

The suckers are dangerous. A guy I used to work with ended up at the emergency room because he got his arms trapped pushing wood through the door and the cast iron door frame cooked both of his arms.

Get a real stove.

Wow. I am glad you told me that. Ok I will probably look elsewhere now...I just wanted a low cost stove but not one that will cook my arms!

Don't give up on the barrel just because BB's buddy somehow got stuck in his barrel. Barrel stoves are great shop heaters because they burn hot and fast for rapid heat up of the shop and so that they go out pretty much when you leave. I don't want a stove burning 10 hours out in the unattended shop. Out in a big shop with huge clearances all around, big ugly heat shields on the walls, concrete floor, usually unpermitted installs, is where you see barrel stoves.

I would not put one in my house though. If you want a smooth "barrel" then look at using an oil tank or other tank with a flat side for the door. The ridges on the barrel are important for their use as barrels and you won't find a smooth one easily.

There are some great sites that talk about setting up "custom" stoves that use the Vog kit as their base.

TSC sells those barrel accessories, legs, door etc, and they also sell the barrels for this too.

Hogwildz said:
TSC sells those barrel accessories, legs, door etc, and they also sell the barrels for this too.

Bolt it all together, paint it red and you have a PE Summit. :lol:

Methinks it would look more like an Elm.

If this is for a shop application - maybe. Assuming that you have tons of clearance.

For a home install - No FREAKIN way.

Just one dudes opinion.

I just dont get a good feeling from these barrel stoves. The walls are way too thin. You figure most stoves are 1/4 to 5/16, where as a barrel is 0.030". Find an old stove on craigslist for the same price. Also, you dont want a barrel with smooth sides, the ribs play a huge role in the structure of those drums.

The double barrel setup is what I used for my first big smoker. I cut doors in both ends of the top barrel and installed racks in it for tons of meat. Everybody for miles knew when I was smoking a load. Both from the smoke cloud and the hunger inducting aroma.

I've never used a Vogelgang, but I had a Sotz kit for years. It started out life in my 24x30 insulated garage with the double barrel kit. Too much heat, so I removed the top barrel and used it that way for a few years, until I got a cast iron pot belly stove to replace it. Big mistake. The pot belly was worthless compared to the barrel. The barrel stove went in to the double sided fireplace in the house, between the dining room and living room. I had to flatten the 'bottom' side a bit to make it fit into the fireplace. BTW, it was a 55 gallon drum. I bought the thermostatic controller from Sotz for the air inlet hole in the door, and heated my whole two story house with it for years, until my divorce in '95; she got the house.

I think the Sotz was better, as it used steel instead of cast iron, and the air inlet was in the door instead of under it. The air went into a chamber inside the door, and exited at the bottom of the door. I would fill the drum completely full at night with wood, and still had plenty of coals in the am to keep the fire burning. My dining room didn't have a ceiling at the second floor level, so it heated the second floor as well. I never had a problem with the barrel burning out, but the end opposite the door did get a little warped. I looked for another kit recently, but they must not be in bussiness any longer, as I couldn't find one. I would've put one in my basement at my present house, but my new wife wanted something more appealing, looks wise. I never had a lick of trouble with the chimney or the Sotz kit stove the whole time I used it, both in the garage and home. Plus, the insurance agent never had any qualms about me having it....but, then, it WAS installed in a masonry fireplace with a steel firebox.

BTW, barrels used for burning outside don't last long because they are out in the weather.

Lucky Phil said:
I would fill the drum completely full at night with wood, and still had plenty of coals in the am to keep the fire burning.

:gulp: :gulp: :gulp:

I would sure think so. Thats gotta be about an 8 cu ft firebox.

Standard steel stoves are much thinner than you might think. The best ones have a thick top but I don't think many of them use even 1/4" steel on the sides. You're lucky to get 1/8". Still, that's thicker than a barrel. What do you really get with thickness? Thermal mass? Shape stability? Longevity? Burn through resistance? Consider that your car's exhaust system can reach very high temps plus vibration and salt water, yet the tubing is quite thin. I think the thickness gets you a longer life out of an actual stove before burn through.

If you routinely ran the thing red hot then I would expect burn through in a year or so. Barrels are free at the tractor store so just pop a new one in.

If you don't run the thing red hot then I expect that they would last a long time as Lucky Phil posted his did. If you clean it and keep it painted during the summer it might last even longer.

We have ductile iron pipe water mains now. I spied a scrap chunk of 24" main at a construction site that would make a fantastic shop heater. Trouble with that thick steel is that I could see it taking forever to heat up and warm my shop but it would last forever. Compare that to a thin steel barrel that is hot as soon as the kindling is ignited. The thin steel can be a benefit.

BrotherBart said:
The double barrel setup is what I used for my first big smoker. I cut doors in both ends of the top barrel and installed racks in it for tons of meat. Everybody for miles knew when I was smoking a load. Both from the smoke cloud and the hunger inducting aroma.

in·duct·ed, in·duct·ing, in·ducts
1. To place ceremoniously or formally in an office or a position; install: a service to induct the new president of the university.
a. To admit as a member; receive.
b. To admit to military service: a draftee waiting to be inducted into the army.
c. To introduce, as to new experience or knowledge; initiate: She was inducted into the ways of the legal profession.
3. Physics To induce.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/inducting

So you're into cooking presidents now, are you, Brother Bart?! :wow:

Is deer meat spelled dear meat in ole Virgineey? :lol:

Help, HELP, H E L P!!!

Where's owlgore when ya need him???? :grrr:

Slow night Dave? :p

I just gotta know how Brotherbart's buddy got his dumb ass stuck in the doorway. Come on now there is blaming the machine and then there is that other thing. If you haven't got sense enough to keep from getting your arms stuck in a door then you shouldn't be around things that burn. As talk show host Howie Carr says, was there some bubbly involved??????? If you are gonna make a home made stove like that why not drop by the local scrap yard and see what there is for left over municipal pipe around? I bought a piece that is about 16" across to make into a lawn roller. Believe me at 1/2 to 3/4" you aren't gonna burn that puppy out. Of course you will have to weld on the ends and such.

Driz said:
I just gotta know how Brotherbart's buddy got his dumb ass stuck in the doorway..

Never said that I liked the idiot. Just that I worked with him. :lol:

But the narrow door and REALLY long reach to the back of the barrel does offer opportunities.

A buddy of mine had one of those things in his pole barn....come on guys really? :eek:hh:

Really what? These things are perfect for a pole barn. The OP didn't say where he wanted to put it.

Highbeam said:
Really what? These things are perfect for a pole barn. The OP didn't say where he wanted to put it.

Highbeam,

IMHO I look at those things as an accident waiting to happen! :mad:

Plus they eat wood like no tomorrow.

Mine wasn't an accident waiting to happen....it burned fine for years...IN THE HOUSE, TOO. You must be thinking of a different stove, as mine didn't eat wood like there was no tomorrow....

Lucky Phil said:
Mine wasn't an accident waiting to happen....it burned fine for years...IN THE HOUSE, TOO. You must be thinking of a different stove, as mine didn't eat wood like there was no tomorrow....

I don't want to speak for anyone else but burning an entire 55 gallon barrel stuffed full of wood to end with nothing but coals in the morning - well...thats alot of wood to me.

Just say'in.

Status
Not open for further replies.