Pile of Wood in Driveway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlankBlankBlank

Minister of Fire
Oct 12, 2011
PA
The stuff in the middle to the left is walnut. I split a pile like that yesterday and that pile again today. This will be for next year. To the far right I have a load of maple (out of picture). You can see the little bit of cedar to the right side of the picture frame that still needs splitting. I picked that up for kindling next year.

I love hauling, splitting, stacking and ultimately burning wood. Wood is surely the most satisfying heat.

Attachments

• Walnut In Driveway.jpg
    Walnut In Driveway.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 603
As it should be!

Wouldn't mind a bit if my drive looked like that.

pen

I like everything about walnut except burning it. It seems to take a long time to season. Is it me?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it usually takes two seasons to dry properly. I'm sure that's what I read. Perhaps someone will comment on this. Anyway, I got it with the intention of burning it the year after next (2013). Also going to pick up some oak this year for 2013 also. Figure if I can pick up some oak each year then starting in 2013 I'll have oak every year for the night time burn.

I'm picking up some maple this fall for the winter of 2012.

Nice score.
The wood burning "addiction" grows on.
Better hurry & get that maple, fall is over, winter's here, here. Gotta be close in Wisconsin.

From my experience Black Walnut seasons decent. I say it needs 18 months to be ideal though but you can burn after 12 months for sure. I am burning black walnut now and it is at 18% to 20%.....been seasoned for 18 months.

Im burning black walnut right now also. It hasnt been seasoned 2 years, not sure how long to be honest but its dry. I split it kinda small thou for my tiny little stove!

I can't see anything being any worse than oak to dry. Never had any BW , can't say...

Status
Not open for further replies.