Pileated Woodpecker

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This picture was taken from inside my house.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_0100.JPG
    100_0100.JPG
    169.5 KB · Views: 805
Big suckers, aren't they?
We have a few that love to bang on the power poles. Hard to mistake the sound.
Woody Woodpecker right in my own yard.
For you younger folks, that's a reference to a cartoon from loooong ago, and faaaar away land.

Dave

The holes they leave are amazing in themselves . . . I've had one going to town on a pine in my front yard . . . needless to say I believe I may have to take down this pine in the near future as it is pretty close to the house . . . of course I could just let the pileated woodpecker take it down, but I don't know if he would drop the tree where I want it to be dropped. ;)

3303073583_82c4273f7d.jpg

Here's one that was around last winter.

Ahh, AKA (Woody Woodpecker). This was the bird in the the famous cartoon "Woody Woodpecker". These are awesum birds to see peck wood. It sounds like a jack hammer going at the wood. We see them from June through Aug. That's about it around here.

Attachments

• woody 1.JPG
    woody 1.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 627
  • woody 2.JPG
    woody 2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 603
3989714581_b52618cd44.jpg

Just shot this about 30 min ago and it was real windy out when it landed and later took off.

PapaDave said:
Big suckers, aren't they?
We have a few that love to bang on the power poles. Hard to mistake the sound.
Woody Woodpecker right in my own yard.
For you younger folks, that's a reference to a cartoon from loooong ago, and faaaar away land.
Dave

...I remember. Woody, Knothead, Splinter, Wally the Walrus, Chilly Willy - they bring back simpler, more innocent times.
I sound like an old man - and I'm not even a grandfather!
Yes, they are big birds. I can't imagine how their brain takes that beating.
Happy burning.

We get them here in the NW as well. I have a family of them in my woodlot, seems they like the rooten wood of the older alder trees. Surely looking for bugs in there. I find the huge piles of chips at the base of the tree.

Trouble is they are a protected species so their habitat, as evidenced by the pecker holes, is protected as well. I chase them off now, they're almost as bad as having an eagle nest on your woodlot.

I'll get one (at a time) at my suet feeder.
Messy picker, ends up allover.

I watched one out the kitchen sink window one morning going round and round a stump, away to a nearby tree and back.

We have these woodpeckers in our area. Their calls are crazy. They sounds more like a topical bird to me. Thanks for the pic.

First time i hunted in NY i heard this strange almost funny sound coming through the woods. When it finally broke through the treetops i saw it was a good sized bird. Then it started hammerin on the trees! When i got back to camp i told the guys, they said just wait till he hammers on the tree your in haha. Sure are some big woodpeckers up that way!

I've seen these on the suet feeder, but it's the others that peck holes in the house that drive me crazy. A fake owl, alternated with some other flashy bs hanging from the house has done the job so far this summer.

Madison we have them too, pretty sure they call 'em Northern Fletchers...or Flickas
3990465436_d79d31e97a.jpg

I just discovered the joy of feeding birds not to long ago. Cobbled this partial cover for the suet cage to keep the black birds away since they would devour a suet cake in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.