pilot light goes out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

okeewap

Feb 6, 2007
I don't know if I am using this forum correctly, but here goes.
My pilot light keeps going out on my gas stove. It worked fine all season, until it got really cold outside. At first, we thought it was the wind. But, today there is no wind and the stove only stays lit for a short time and then goes out again. We can relight it with no problem, but again it just goes out in 10 or 15 minutes. It seems to happen when we also have the furnace on. That could be coincidence though, since it is so cold out that both are running quite a bit of the time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i agree with mr elk, but a few other possibilites...
is it a b vent or a direct vent?
if its a b vent is it installed in a basement?
if it is a bvent installed in a basement it could be spilling back down the chimney and the spill switch could be turning it off.

If its a direct vent, you could have some flue blockage, or it could be vented directly horizontal for a borderline long run, in that case the cold weather could be affecting the draft and shutting it down

Most likely its the thermocouple, do you have a voltmeter?

Just curious okee, how cold is it outside? Do you have propane or natural gas??

BeGreen said:
Just curious okee, how cold is it outside? Do you have propane or natural gas??

From 0 at night to around 20 during the day.

I have natural gas.

We do need to know what type of appliance - vented, non-vented, direct vent
How old is the unit - how much use?

If it happens more when the furnace is on, it may be either:
1. Too small of a gas line feeding the appliance
2. Dirt or moisture in the gas line feeding the appliance

But the first things to check (or for a service person to check) is to clean out the pilot tube with air (a straw and breath will do) and also make certain it is properly hitting the thermocouple or pile(s). Some gas valves have a pilot adjustment and this can possibly be turned up.

If unit is vent-free, then most of these adjustments cannot be made - you have to simply clean it out and hope for the best, then if everything else is OK you have to replace the entire pilot assembly (not very expensive in many cases).

Status
Not open for further replies.