pilot on, burner on, both shut off in a few minutes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lakenouse man

Jan 28, 2019
Frederick md
I would love to get some help with this...I appreciate any input...

Propane Gas Insert that performs as above. Manufacturer of the unit is Waterford and the model is Emerald. I have always had a problem getting the pilot lit but eventually it does light. Thermostat calls for heat and the burner ignites to full flame and in a few minutes, both the pilot light and burner are off. From what I can tell, I do not have an O2 sensor on the thing as I thought possibly the unit is starved for air.

The unit is about 17 years old. thanks for any thoughts-brian

Try lighting it with the glass front off or cracked open. If it doesn't go out in the same period of time, there may
be a problem with your venting. It may have a bee hive or bird's nest in the intake...
***CAUTION*** Do NOT burn your insert like this for any longer than it takes to test this theory.
CARBON MONOXIDE is a by-product of gas combustion & is deadly.*
I'd advise you to open a window in the room while you perform the test***CAUTION***
Let us know how you make out.

Try lighting it with the glass front off or cracked open. If it doesn't go out in the same period of time, there may
be a problem with your venting. It may have a bee hive or bird's nest in the intake...
***CAUTION*** Do NOT burn your insert like this for any longer than it takes to test this theory.
CARBON MONOXIDE is a by-product of gas combustion & is deadly.*
I'd advise you to open a window in the room while you perform the test***CAUTION***
Let us know how you make out.
Will do! going to be a week or two until I get back to that property

Will do! going to be a week or two until I get back to that property
Just reporting in. Analysis seems to suggest that I was not waiting long enough to allow heat coming off the pilot to warm the outgoing exhaust duct air which would allow more combustion air to enter. I suppose the problem was amplified by the fact that I had the flame set to high and I turned the burner on a few seconds after the pilot was lit. Essentially I starved the unit of air. Seemingly, all good now.

Reactions: DAKSY