Pilot orifice? Where?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jotel me this

Feeling the Heat
Sep 21, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have a Travis Xtrordinair 44 fireplace. Page 12 says the 'air tubes under the baffle needs to remain ignited for low burns to be effective' and 'the primary orifice at the center bottom of the door opening is designed to help secondary combustion.'

Im either blind or dumb. I have scoured this fireplace high and low, vacuumed it, flashlighted it, used mirrors, and gone crazy. I cant find anything remotely related to 'air tubes' at the center bottom of the door. Are these things just small holes where air flows?

Thank you

The "air tubes" are at the top of the firebox. The primary orifice at the bottom front of the firebox sounds like boost air. If so, it may be just a small hole directing air at the base of the fire.

Hi Fellas,
I received an email regarding this question.... Since my retrofit is tomorrow and the installation crew will be at my house again, I can ask them...Think you're right BG because I can't really see anything but read that in the manual.....I try not to block the center space and keep the right hand side near the front above the snap disk clear of ash buildup...Maybe an orifice unit is for gas stove applications?

An orifice is just another name for a hole. It's pretty common for wood stoves to have a boost air port at the bottom front center of the firebox. After the fireplace is installed but before burning, look for the small hole there.

Hi Fellas,
I received an email regarding this question.... Since my retrofit is tomorrow and the installation crew will be at my house again, I can ask them...Think you're right BG because I can't really see anything but read that in the manual.....I try not to block the center space and keep the right hand side near the front above the snap disk clear of ash buildup...Maybe an orifice unit is for gas stove applications?
Hey thanks! Id appreciate it if you can ask. I too try to keep the center space clear from ash, but I do it thinking im doing something good, not because I can see anything that actually needs to be kept clear. Same with the snap disk. Found that out when I couldnt keep the blower going. i just cant see anything of importance in the center that needs to be 'kept clear'. Its just a piece of metal. Anywho, thanks again for asking!

Thanks BG...I just did what the OP tried and lifted those center bottom bricks too..Nada...But noticed the raised center portion of front door frame has a space if you run your fingers above it..Hmmm.. Like the OP, I would like to know. I'll post the answer I get from the dealer....

Your welcome Jotel me this......Dealer is coming back because they screwed up my liner install so I hope they at least tell me about this..We can email Travis Industries and ask them if install team doesn't know..They are pretty good with responses....

Hello,

Installers could not answer my question regarding the pilot. When the Owner arrived he thought maybe it was the air-wash system intake. Pointed out in my manual on page 22 for the Lopi Large Flush under"Other Things To Consider" explains the functionality of the center pilot...The Owner was just as curious as we are, so he called his hotline for tech support at Travis....Very affable guy just had a difference of opinion regarding my situation...

It is the center "Hump"....Travis advised us to look at the Green Start Page(#39 in my manual) bottom photo just as a point of reference..Look below the hand held brick towards the middle.....I don't see any "holes" in that thing but that is where a small amount of air enters the system to help secondaries take off....

It's been a hell of a day for me....I finally got my liner re-installed and insulated...Need to let the blanket adhesives set up...Can't wait to burn!...Jotul Me This- hopes this helps...Happy Thanksgiving To All!

Hello,

Installers could not answer my question regarding the pilot. When the Owner arrived he thought maybe it was the air-wash system intake. Pointed out in my manual on page 22 for the Lopi Large Flush under"Other Things To Consider" explains the functionality of the center pilot...The Owner was just as curious as we are, so he called his hotline for tech support at Travis....Very affable guy just had a difference of opinion regarding my situation...

It is the center "Hump"....Travis advised us to look at the Green Start Page(#39 in my manual) bottom photo just as a point of reference..Look below the hand held brick towards the middle.....I don't see any "holes" in that thing but that is where a small amount of air enters the system to help secondaries take off....

It's been a hell of a day for me....I finally got my liner re-installed and insulated...Need to let the blanket adhesives set up...Can't wait to burn!...Jotul Me This- hopes this helps...Happy Thanksgiving To All!
Hey thanks for the info! Feel free to take a pic of your setup. Sounds interesting. I do see a center hump on mine but ill have to inspect more. Its funny he was willing to call the hotline to find out more info. Hope you have a great holiday too!

I've been thinking about this Jotul...Perhaps my dealer is partially correct...Suppose the "humpback" is a deflector when the air wash system is engaged to help fan the flames?.. If that pilot didn't serve any purpose why wouldn't Travis just have a straight frame? Why would it be in the manual and advise not to block it?...The gap I felt above the pilot was just the ash guard covering the frame...For the life of me I cannot find any air holes along the pilot...used a camper's lantern and a dental mirror pic...Lol..

Thank you for your good wishes and conversations. Stay warm, happy and healthy. Enjoy Life!

I've been thinking about this Jotul...Perhaps my dealer is partially correct...Suppose the "humpback" is a deflector when the air wash system is engaged to help fan the flames?.. If that pilot didn't serve any purpose why wouldn't Travis just have a straight frame? Why would it be in the manual and advise not to block it?...The gap I felt above the pilot was just the ash guard covering the frame...For the life of me I cannot find any air holes along the pilot...used a camper's lantern and a dental mirror pic...Lol..

Thank you for your good wishes and conversations. Stay warm, happy and healthy. Enjoy Life!
Its a mystery. Im going to call the manufacturer, Travis to figure this out and will report back.